X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Why you build it from source? You may install it from PlayDeb.
    Because I'm gonna play around with the source code anyway.

Leave a comment:

• 1Samildanach
    replied
    Originally posted by crizis View Post
    Yes, I mean these ones which actual games use.
    Torchlight isn't a game?

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Has anyone attempted to build the executable from source on Precise? (the prefab binary complained about libjpeg15)
    Why you build it from source? You may install it from PlayDeb.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Has anyone attempted to build the executable from source on Precise? (the prefab binary complained about libjpeg15)

Leave a comment:

• losinggeneration
    replied
    Hey there
    Hello to you

I wanna clear one thing up: Warsow is the Qfusion and Qfusion is far from dead 1.0 engine changes are ernomous, making the engine pretty darn modern in many aspects: Hardware rendered skeletal animations, incredibly high map performance with VBO's, octagon hitboxes, nice e-sport features like r_drawflat etc. You can read more about our new engine stuff here.
    I guess I would have personally just preferred the game and engine to have been kept separate.

Secondly we do have our reasons for keeping semi-closed* repository. The engine projects we have are always pretty gigantic, multi-month projects which need big commitment from the guys who do them. For example we're likely first, or at least one of the very first open source engine projects to bring modern-day engine stuff to the open source engines, like hardware rendered models (classic Quake 2/3 engine forks do this in the CPU, being very inefficient in model rendering).
    I call BS on this one outright. If you're properly using revision control, that should be in a branch. Honestly, especially if you're not using something terribly like CVS or SVN and using something that isn't brain-dead like Git, Mercurial, or another distributed SCM, you could technically even keep the branch private until you're ready to merge the changes. So, I reject your argument outright on this one.

*) We're actually very open to contributors who actually commit on these projects. But on the other hand having open repository would somehow imply that we're interested in merging every random idea that anyone comes up with. This is not the case - we have our vision what the game should be, and people usually just get mad when we decline their code/features which does not fit in our vision of the game.
    First, this puts a bit of a burden on anyone accepting patches since the patches have to be against a source drop and can't be brought up-to-date before submitting them. As for the second part, I can't really comment but some kind of documentation on how patches are accepted (including what's acceptable) could be written and included in the engine. That way, there's no confusion as to what's acceptable to ask to be accepted and what's not.

For players everything is and will always remain free however. So hopefully you enjoy our release
    I usually try every release, but I don't have hours of free time for games. And just to be clear, I really do appreciate the work that goes into the game and engine, and my gripes are really quite minor (even if I make them sound like they're not.)

That seems like quite the statement to make. I'm sure the dev's at PlaneShift (which IIRC had their first release three years prior to Warsow's first release) might argue to the contrary. Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    You'd be surprised

Leave a comment:

• crizis
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Several open 3d engines have been doing that for a long time (ogre, cs, irrlicht...). Perhaps you mean to open id engines, etc?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    For example we're likely first, or at least one of the very first open source engine projects to bring modern-day engine stuff to the open source engines, like hardware rendered models (classic Quake 2/3 engine forks do this in the CPU, being very inefficient in model rendering).
    Several open 3d engines have been doing that for a long time (ogre, cs, irrlicht...). Perhaps you mean to open id engines, etc?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Simonlc View Post
    I understand your point, though it's been 7 years now, with 7 major releases. Nothing is stopping you from picking up one of those releases, and playing the game with a new client, or mod. The developers and founder are very adamant about the game remaining free. The topic has come up countless times to ask and put the game on steam for promotion, though as you may know steam only allows games that make money.
    Why's that an issue? Set it up on Steam for 10$, then do a promo 70% off, get 3$ per copy.

It wouldn't even be immoral in any way, just say in the description that this is a donation, the game is free.

Leave a comment:

• crizis
    replied
    Little clarification

Originally posted by losinggeneration View Post
    Qfusion, as a stand-alone engine is dead. The last couple updates to Qfusion were basically back-porting Warsow features. That's a bit too bad, because the Warsow team is completely against having a source repo available for those who want it. You must wait for their SDK source drop after their releases. Anyway, here's the source which basically says that Qfusion is dead: http://e4m5.net/archives/34
    Hey there

I wanna clear one thing up: Warsow is the Qfusion and Qfusion is far from dead 1.0 engine changes are ernomous, making the engine pretty darn modern in many aspects: Hardware rendered skeletal animations, incredibly high map performance with VBO's, octagon hitboxes, nice e-sport features like r_drawflat etc. You can read more about our new engine stuff here.

Secondly we do have our reasons for keeping semi-closed* repository. The engine projects we have are always pretty gigantic, multi-month projects which need big commitment from the guys who do them. For example we're likely first, or at least one of the very first open source engine projects to bring modern-day engine stuff to the open source engines, like hardware rendered models (classic Quake 2/3 engine forks do this in the CPU, being very inefficient in model rendering).

When it comes to the media assets, it's true that they're not open source. To clarify that a bit - we're not an open source project, we're a free game project. There are pros and cons in both ways of development. With fully open projects it's usually easier to find contributors. On the other hand our media is very high quality and professional, which then again is due "closed" nature of the project. People who contribute for us are actual game developers, and usually want something to show in their portfolio and which doesn't get forked around different projects and modified to death by other people.

To put it short, we're just trying to make the best possible free and unique fps.

*) We're actually very open to contributors who actually commit on these projects. But on the other hand having open repository would somehow imply that we're interested in merging every random idea that anyone comes up with. This is not the case - we have our vision what the game should be, and people usually just get mad when we decline their code/features which does not fit in our vision of the game.

For players everything is and will always remain free however. So hopefully you enjoy our release

Leave a comment:

Working...
X