Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

Phoronix: Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

As I said back in April, Valve's Gabe Newell really hates Windows 8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate Windows 8 too. Probably for different reasons. In Beta, Metro was so clunky and... unnessercary.

Comment

How unduly opinionated...

Is it not unreasonable to assume, according to your own self-proclamation, that your website operates under the premise of providing news of interest to Linux and open-source enthusiasts? If so, then how does one find such an unimportant (or rather, simply not newsworthy) piece as this? I fail to see how a piece only showcasing one man's criticism of Windows has anything to do with Linux or open-source.

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
      The big problem that is holding back Linux is games.
      I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...

Comment

Originally posted by Prince781 View Post
        I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...
        That maybe true, but I know far too many people who see the games issue as a large one none the less.

I use Linux almost completely, with virtualization and wine for any of the loose ends, so personally the games issue for me is very unimportant. However the gaming market can bring in new users, which in turn more bug reports, more user feedback/testing and more contributions to the community, even if it's not enormous in quantity. Plus it can introduce more commercial interest in Linux, which could have many benefits.

Comment

I love Gabe more and more every time

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          That maybe true, but I know far too many people who see the games issue as a large one none the less.

I use Linux almost completely, with virtualization and wine for any of the loose ends, so personally the games issue for me is very unimportant. However the gaming market can bring in new users, which in turn more bug reports, more user feedback/testing and more contributions to the community, even if it's not enormous in quantity. Plus it can introduce more commercial interest in Linux, which could have many benefits.
          and don't forget better drivers (both open and blobs)
          Last edited by madjr; 26 July 2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

My copy of Linux Mint 13 is equal in power and usability to Windows 7 and MacOSX. The ONLY thing missing from Linux that I care about is my games collection.

Comment

Native games should improve performance over wine a bit, but performance is equally important than availability.

Stability should be sorted with a mainstream distro nowadays.

Comment

Its more than simple: The windows app store makes steam obsolete and this makes valve obsolete and this makes gabe obsolete.
                Now Gabe realize that fact that he is obsolete and his company goes bankrupt next year now he try to fix that.
                10 years ago there was no windows app store and gabe and valve don't give a fuck about Linux this means the only fact what force him to love linux is the windows app store.

Its more than simple he loves Linux now because its the only way out of the Microsoft trap!

Microsoft burned all thinks they have ever touched!
                Last edited by maldorordiscord; 26 July 2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Gabe is right in saying Games are a very large driving force to the common consumer, and is what Linux lacks. However, there are also many people who will just buy whatever's at their local electronics store, which is a place where Linux just doesn't exist.

If more computers where sold with Ubuntu pre-installed at Best Buy, then Linux would see a large increase in consumers development. There's also something to be said about the "sexy" factor, which I think MacOSX makes clear is important. Linux CAN be super sexy, and while Ubuntu/Mint/Gnome have made massive improvements to the "shinyness" of their default setup (Mint is actually pretty great here), they're still not near as sexy as Mac or Windows 7 (debatable) from the "get go". Ubuntu's default theme is ugly, and their Gnome Shell is missing features ("Power Off", "Dash to Dock", etc..).

Comment

Is it not unreasonable to assume, according to your own self-proclamation, that your website operates under the premise of providing news of interest to Linux and open-source enthusiasts? If so, then how does one find such an unimportant (or rather, simply not newsworthy) piece as this? I fail to see how a piece only showcasing one man's criticism of Windows has anything to do with Linux or open-source.

It just proves Windows lives, because of games. Dot. The biggest Linux issue is the lack of them. Dot. There are many issues in Windows which make it sometimes unusable, but games are saving. Dot.

Comment

Working...
                    X