No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing about tech is that it's really hard to predict anything in the future with certainty. Not only is the market incredibly fickle, but use patterns change so quickly that you really can't bet on anything. Huge companies fall (RIM, Nokia) and others rise (Apple) in less than a decade.

These people that are saying "windows 4eva" are being naive, because it's certainly possible that products where Windows has been dominant aren't going to be as popular 5-10 years from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      I guess that we have to agree in to disagree...in your opinion Ms makes money with IE, in my opinion it doesn't , they do with the OS itself....hell, if i want , i can just install IE in Linux via WINE and i'm sure that Ms won't get a dime for me doing it !!! (not that i want do it, i will not)
      Sure you can install IE in wine and in this case Microsoft do not earn money in a direct way but in an indirect way because of the ads and start-page for example.

And the market share of IE in wine is very small only: 0.0001% Most of the people use the IE with Windows. Sure some people use a pirated windows version but these people do not hurt microsoft because a pirated windows version is no competition in the market.

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      ...taking in account that a XBox360 is actually a kinda of PC with specific hardware and taking in account the talk about a Steam console....how about a SteamBOX running SteamOS (Linux) ? Possibly using a ARM CPU (with build-in GPU ?)...
      Sure this can be very successful. And if you do it very openly you can compete with the PC AND with the Sony and microsoft consoles in the same time.
      In my point of view this is the only way to attack a company like Microsoft undercut the price with cheap hardware and beat them with better service and let the people join because its a open platform.
      In my point of view ARM is ready in 2014 right now Loongson/MIPS is technically better because of 64bit and x86 code emulation-acceleration.

But i think they will start with X86 hardware in the beginning but this is not a good choice because of the cross-platform-substitution .

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      Anyway, tonight i will get rid once and for all of Windows and go full Linux for good
      cool

Comment

• Next step of Valve

I think the next step of Valve would be to buy Ubuntu and to put Steam on it, or maybe to create a new distro optimised for games, Steam Linux sounds great!!! If M$ kicks Valve, why not Valve paybacks M$? Valve believing in Valve is not such a bad idea, isn't it?
        Last edited by peperoni; 27 July 2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Breaking news: Google buys Valve!

More tonight at 11.

(Yes this is a joke)

Comment

• Originally posted by fuzz View Post
            Breaking news: Google buys Valve!

More tonight at 11.

(Yes this is a joke)
            Come on, don't you think that Valve buying Ubuntu wouldn't make M$ to worry even a little bit? That step would mean a real punch into M$'s face. They would struggle on server market and on desktop market at the same time with M$. They also have the money and the will.

Comment

• Bilizzard seams to agree

Comment

• Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                Sure you can install IE in wine and in this case Microsoft do not earn money in a direct way but in an indirect way because of the ads and start-page for example.

And the market share of IE in wine is very small only: 0.0001% Most of the people use the IE with Windows. Sure some people use a pirated windows version but these people do not hurt microsoft because a pirated windows version is no competition in the market.
                The percentage isn't relevant...i was only exemplifying that it's possible to get IE w/o MS get a dime *directly*.
                As for the ads, in this scenario given by me, is the same situation than for Firefox....both IE and Firefox get revenue from ads.

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                Sure this can be very successful. And if you do it very openly you can compete with the PC AND with the Sony and microsoft consoles in the same time.
                In my point of view this is the only way to attack a company like Microsoft undercut the price with cheap hardware and beat them with better service and let the people join because its a open platform.
                In my point of view ARM is ready in 2014 right now Loongson/MIPS is technically better because of 64bit and x86 code emulation-acceleration.

But i think they will start with X86 hardware in the beginning but this is not a good choice because of the cross-platform-substitution .
                Dunno....Valve might bite the bullet and go right now for ARM....best option for them in the long run.

Comment

• Blizzard:
                  The heat is starting to turn up on WIndows 8. First Gabe Newell called it a catastrophe for anyone in the PC space. Now Blizzard's head of design has expressed a milder sense of ire. 

+twitter https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/228235190705729536

Introversion:
                  Windows 8 is a problem: in it rush to create a tablet experience, Microsoft are pushing to certify and distribute apps and games through the inbuilt Microsoft store. Developers around the world are starting to understand the implications of Microsoft’s plans, and they’re not happy. We asked Intr

I'm waiting for more <eating popcorn>

Comment

• Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Well, well, well....i start to see a trend here....wonder if Blizzard (and ACTIVISION....and that means "CALL OF DUTY") will join Valve in the Linux endeavor ....maybe is to soon yet but things are looking good....to the Linux side

Comment

• It seems that the PC industry is in crysis!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X