Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
    Street-Fighter et cetera are usually played with a dedicated arcade-style controller. Halo? Give me a break. MLG has even dropped it this year. Counter-Strike and Quake Live are the only notable competitive shooter e-sports. MOBA's and Starcraft 2 are PC-based.
    So there are notable games that do not require a keyborad mouse! And if in the future most popular games are controlled with valve's tongue controller (http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valve...ws-8-and-more/), guess which games will be chosen for the leagues?

Hence, the fact that there are professional e-sports leagues does not mean that the desktop will be the main platform forever.
    Last edited by Figueiredo; 27 July 2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

SteamBox is definitely what this is about.

They're not porting this stuff over just because they're bored or because they want to throw a bone to the 25 Linux gamers in the world. And they're not dumb enough to think there's going to be a mass exodus from Windows to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomyne View Post
        Quoted for truth.

It's a lot harder to infect a linux system due to how the permissions work. If my linux laptop gets a virus, it has to survive first the virus scanner I have installed, but then it's trapped. my major bineraries and config files are only writable by root... and I don't run as root. So to get rid of the virus, all i have to do is delete my user account.

In Windows, you have to format every drive windows has touched. Painful.
        Remember how 2.6.x series kernel had multiple escalation of privilege root shell exploits? SElinux/apparmor not helping as it is the kernel that is compromised. I even sometimes think that was the real reason for the 3.0 kernel rename AFAIK no such things have been found in 3 line of kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          I'm not that naive , in that sense, yeah sure, i paid for it but if you go back to 1st versions of IE ever made , it wasn't part of the OS and it wasn't paid either (it was just like any other WWW browser that we could install, so, in that sense, it NEVER was paid and if it wasn't ever paid as an extra then it can be considered free)....but for me that is kinda of irrelevant because, IMHO, MS would charge same price anyway with or without IE in Windows (because it is indeed free of charge)

In fact, IIRC, i might be making a confusion, when MS was 1st attacked because Netscape and all, there was in at least a country where they sold a version of windows w/o IE....and they sold it at same price than regular version w/IE.
          The reality show that its in the way i told you they calculate all costs of IE into the windows license.
          And the people think its "Free-Beer" no its not free-beer they make "profit" and they make more profit than "Firefox" because they earn money from the windows license and from the ads from the start page.

Your argument is only "History" back in the time of windows95 IE was not a part of the OS but today it is a part of the OS.
          A Historically argument do not have any relevance to the today reality.

" i might be making a confusion, when MS was 1st attacked because Netscape and all, there was in at least a country where they sold a version of windows w/o IE....and they sold it at same price than regular version w/IE."

thats prove you wrong because if they sell the windows version without IE at the same price than the windows version with the IE then my argument is right microsoft earn money for the IE with the windows licenses and they don't care if you use the IE or not! because you pay the bill anyway!

You can not beat Microsoft by using Firefox in a windows OS! they win anyway!

You also can not win against Microsoft if you use Linux on windows hardware intel-x86 because then you do a cross-platform substitution of 95% of your support money in the beneficial of Microsoft.

You can only beat Microsoft if you use Linux and Firefox with windows incompatible hardware.

Comment

I guess that we have to agree in to disagree...in your opinion Ms makes money with IE, in my opinion it doesn't , they do with the OS itself....hell, if i want , i can just install IE in Linux via WINE and i'm sure that Ms won't get a dime for me doing it !!! (not that i want do it, i will not)

However....

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
            You can only beat Microsoft if you use Linux and Firefox with windows incompatible hardware.
            ...taking in account that a XBox360 is actually a kinda of PC with specific hardware and taking in account the talk about a Steam console....how about a SteamBOX running SteamOS (Linux) ? Possibly using a ARM CPU (with build-in GPU ?)...

Anyway, tonight i will get rid once and for all of Windows and go full Linux for good

Comment

Quid pro quo.
              Valve will help Linux, and we will help Vavle!

This is a very smart move of theirs.
              Now that Windows 8 has an App store, they will become obsolete, so they are saving their existance with Linux (as others have already pointed out).

I wonder what EA will do, as they also have a similar service like Steam, called Origin .

Comment

I think EA is too large. They are also too much invested into the current consoles and consequently too much dependent on MS and Sony to upset them. I can't see EA inovating to the point of creating their own platform (software and hardware). If MS closes up Windows real good, they will carve some agreement with MS and Origin will be incorporated into the MS App Store.

Comment

Have a read through this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1707406
                  A VERY Pro windows area and anti-apple and lolLinux forum... interesting rants...

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                    I think EA is too large. They are also too much invested into the current consoles and consequently too much dependent on MS and Sony to upset them. I can't see EA inovating to the point of creating their own platform (software and hardware). If MS closes up Windows real good, they will carve some agreement with MS and Origin will be incorporated into the MS App Store.
                    Wouldn't that be considered monopolistic/duopolistic behavior? isn't that against the law in certain Countries?

It seems to me that they will completely lock down Windows by version 9 or 10... only allowing you to install and use things from their app store...

Comment

• Ironically, only if windows has no competition, which every day is less of a problem. I don't think MS will close Windows so much though, there will probably be ways to install independent applications, but it might be difficult enough that most users won't bother...
                      Last edited by Figueiredo; 27 July 2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X