Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
    Except that they allowed Postal 3... so... what?
    Postal 3 more effectively conveys the satirical nature of it than 2 says the reviews... although the game itself was generally reviewed worse than 2. Anyhoo, I was just speculating - the reasons for Valve allowing 3 on there might be to do with the fact that it uses Source engine too.

It doesn't matter - it still has nothing to do with Linux specifically. People trying to cite "no Postal 2 on Steam" as a problem with Steam for Linux are just being needlessly confrontational.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
      Postal 3 more effectively conveys the satirical nature of it than 2 says the reviews... although the game itself was generally reviewed worse than 2. Anyhoo, I was just speculating - the reasons for Valve allowing 3 on there might be to do with the fact that it uses Source engine too.

It doesn't matter - it still has nothing to do with Linux specifically. People trying to cite "no Postal 2 on Steam" as a problem with Steam for Linux are just being needlessly confrontational.
      By "people" you mean "one fellow", and he was saying it was an issue with STEAM not Steam on Linux. Not allowing games because you find them offensive CAN indeed be a problem. But, we don't really know why it was rejected and can only speculate.

Comment

By "people" you mean "one fellow", and he was saying it was an issue with STEAM not Steam on Linux. Not allowing games because you find them offensive CAN indeed be a problem. But, we don't really know why it was rejected and can only speculate.
        There are problems with postal 1 and Postal 2 on Steam:

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
          This is a joke?
          a game for windows will work with 7/vista/xp/... (or developers can provide support)

that same game might work on xxxx-linux-10.11 but not on 10.9/10.14 ...
          plus linux distros redhat/suse/slackware/debian/unbutu/... are setup differently (even if one is based on another : debian/ubuntu )

there nothing wong with it, its just linux open-source nature.

even the closed source gpu drivers provide a "gcc installer", witch can lead you to "make menuconfig"

Linux Display Driver - x86 / Release Highlights

Note that many Linux distributions provide their own packages of the NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver in the distribution's native package management format. This may interact better with the rest of your distribution's framework, and you may want to use this rather than NVIDIA's official package.
          radeon / gforce performances are about the same between windows and linux depending on the driver version.
          what works best for a serie wont be the same for another.
          gpus may also behave differently depending on the schedule model.

so in the end, you better go by (or close to) the source, but that may require additional research.
          its funny how rockstar joked (or ranted ) about that in GTA 4 ("cause life ain't hard enougth"), though things work
          really well when they do.

nothing prevent anyone to bring the next crysis to linux , but you cant expect everybody to mess
          with the libc to get it to work

for the most part linux users have to figure how to get things working.
          Last edited by float4; 20 July 2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by float4 View Post
            a game for windows will work with 7/vista/xp/... (or developers can provide support)

plus linux distros redhat/suse/slackware/debian/unbutu/... are setup differently (even if one is based on another : debian/ubuntu )
            You are woefully misinformed about how Linux works.

Comment

You are woefully misinformed about how Linux works.
              seriously ?

Comment

Originally posted by float4 View Post

Original quake3.x86 (Quake 3 Arena from 1999) still works. Can you explain this?

Code:
                adi@adi-desktop:~/Pulpit/Q3oa$ ldd ./quake3.x86 
                	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x003e9000)
                	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00968000)
                	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x007be000)
                	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00146000)
                	libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00d31000)
                	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x0014b000)
                	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00832000)
                	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x0066a000)
                	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00b31000)
                	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00e18000)
                Unreal Tournament 2003 also works... and many other games.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                  Original quake3.x86 (Quake 3 Arena from 1999) still works. Can you explain this?

Code:
                  adi@adi-desktop:~/Pulpit/Q3oa$ ldd ./quake3.x86 
                  	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x003e9000)
                  	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00968000)
                  	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x007be000)
                  	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00146000)
                  	libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00d31000)
                  	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x0014b000)
                  	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00832000)
                  	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x0066a000)
                  	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00b31000)
                  	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00e18000)
                  Unreal Tournament 2003 also works... and many other games.
                  quake/unreal etc, will work as long as they find the libs / functions call they looking for
                  Library versions should be specified for shared objects if the function interfaces are expected to change (...) , more or fewer functions are included in the library (...)

Versioning occurs with the GNU C/C++ libraries as well. This often make binaries compiled with one version of the GNU tools incompatible with binaries compiled with other versions unless those versions also reside on the system. Multiple versions of the same library can reside on the same system due to versioning. The version of the library is included in the symbol name so the linker knows which version to link with.
                  if you interest in more: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lib...ndDynamic.html

in a way i have to thank you , i overlooked certain stuff.

Comment

When it comes to Postal III being sold on Steam, it all comes down to it's development and it's current unfavourable situation. You can read basically a postmortem I gave on it on another website here:

I am also under the impression that RWS does not get any money from direct Steam sales of Postal III, and will only receive payment by those who buy Steam keys directly off of them through their website (which basically involves MikeJ receing your email and sending you a key directly). In the end the only reason it is on there is because of Akella, and they are screwing RWS big time seemingly in response to their own mistakes.

Comment

"Cold War 1.0.2 patch released.
                      Cold War has been updated to 1.0.2. This primarily fixes game launching problems some have experienced."

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X