Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickle
    replied
    I dont see much relevance between steam and LGP. Valve is only going to be able to port their titles and may provide tools and support for helping other developers bring titles to linux. The 3rd party dev's are still going to have to port thier windows D3D code to OpenGL for instance.

Now I think there is direct competition between Humble Bundle and LGP. HB has really up the standard for ports. They not only provide multiple titles at once, they support many systems i.e macos, no DRM, low cost.
    Hopefully LGP can reinvent themselves and bring more to linux in the future, HB has for certain raised the bar.

Leave a comment:

• adler187
    replied
    Well, they could survive if they are smart about it (at least in the short/medium term). If they transition to just porting - no selling, marketing, running DRM servers, etc... Just use Steam and Valve's infrastructure. Essentially, they'd set themselves up as a porting studio and contract out Linux ports like icculus does. Though, they'd probably want to change their name, since they'd no longer be "publishing" anything anymore.

So long as game companies don't have enough Linux familiar talent in-house to do the porting, they can carve out a niche for themselves. If Linux gaming takes off, then I'd expect more companies to bring this work in-house (though, maybe not), which would hurt them (but that is a ways out I'd think).

Could they stay relevant with this plan? Sure. Do I think it's gonna happen? Most likely not.

Alternatively, if Valve opens up a larger Linux-only gamer market, it could help LGP. Personally, I have a dedicated machine running Windows 7 for playing games. I'm not gonna buy a game just for Linux until I can play all my other games in Linux as well, since that would mean I'd have to either switch machines or dual-boot to play that game. Either I buy a game that comes cross-platform for free (eg. SteamPlay or icculus ports) or I buy the game that works on my primary gaming platform (which is Windows currently). Even if I switched my gaming to Linux, I'd still only buy games from LGP that were reasonably priced and, if I'm buying a game at release time, ported at or around the time of release. They should be working with game companies to port new games while they're still in development so they can be released at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• sirdilznik
    replied
    I've pretty much considered LGP to not exist for the last couple of years. They haven't released anything in several years and there's practically no communication coming out of their offices either. I personally don't expect anything new from them ever again. If they prove me wrong then that's great.

Leave a comment:

• Xilanaz
    replied
    They converted some cool games and I have had loads of fun with Sacred, Shadow and X3. If they come up with a new game I like then I will get it. That has absolutely nothing to do with Valve, Steam, Desura or Gameolith

totally useless article imho.

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    Is there any hope for Linux Game Publishing in its current form?
    No. Why is a company like this even mentioned?

They've lost their relevance all by themselves, if they even had any to begin with. There's no thanking Valve or any other game company for that. (Keep in mind that Valve's Linux efforts don't yet have any "relevance" either, until the actual games start appearing.)

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Phoronix: With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Aside from how Valve can better embrace Linux and open-source, another thing to ponder with Valve officially writing about Steam/Source on Linux, is the future of Linux Game Publishing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MjQ
Working...
X