Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold War has been updated to 1.0.2. This primarily fixes game launching problems some have experienced.

"gbudny says:
    July 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Do you plan to sell games on Steam for Linux?

clivecrous says:
    July 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    We’re certainly open to the idea."

Comment

Everytime some dumbass points out linux support is hard because of libs/distros I remind them that Loki solved that problem over a decade ago. Staticlly linked libs + self extracting executable installers. It's not rocket science.

Comment

Usually the libs are not statically linked. I think that would not be allowed by lgpl. Sometimes they use different names however. Older packages require that you replace often libs like openal by newer ones. Same applies to qt or sdl support libs. What matters however is the libc6 used to compile the binaries. Like when you use a distro with new libc6 then the binaries wont run on a distro with older libc6, but usually with a newer one.

Comment

That's what id Software used to do.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That's what id Software used to do.
            Everything iD software did on Linux was directly sourced from Loki. They got advice and programming knowledge directly from the Loki programmers for making Linux ports. The commercial Linux gaming scene is very small, but its tendrils extend into some of the biggest companies in the industry, unfortunately not to the management level in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              Everytime some dumbass points out linux support is hard because of libs/distros I remind them that Loki solved that problem over a decade ago. Staticlly linked libs + self extracting executable installers. It's not rocket science.
              /+10.
              This is more or less what LGP is/was doing.
              (Though I personally replaced the libs with native copies in both X2 and X3 to get additional features (OpenAL/SDL))

The irony is that the same is being done since Windows 3.11 in more-or-less every single Windows applications I worked with / developed.
              msvcrt*.dll changes across different Windows versions / VS distributions (let alone side DLLs such as dbghelp.dll) can wreck havoc on unsuspecting users, hence, even Microsoft bundles world + dog DLL in all of its products.

- Gilboa
              Last edited by gilboa; 22 July 2012, 03:30 AM.
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X