Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Valve On Linux, Has LGP Lost All Relevance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    Have LGP ever approached Aspyr Media Inc? Have they ever spoken to the companies already porting to OSX? Having just read the article posted above,
    I don't know.

"LG: So it is possible that you could publish games for more than one platform?

Michael Simms: In theory yes, but I, and all of my staff, are linux people at heart. We have no interest in porting games to the mac, or to anything else, and so we dont. Saying that, our latest release, Soul Ride, works on x86, ppc, alpha, and sparc Linux."

I only have one question for Michael Simms, If you're investing a shit-ton of your own money into Linux gaming, why don't you just write your own games? Porting hasn't been working for the past decade, it might never work. The Humble Bundles are working, they're successfully raising the profile of the platform. Maybe it's a better effort to focus on development of new titles rather than porting?
    Michael Simms is now LGP Business Adviser (not CEO).

"LXF: Are you tempted to create an original game?

MS: We do have a couple of original game ideas, one of which is about half complete. It will be a fairly simple game to start off with – we're not a big-budget company. This is completely new, no one knows about this. It's very simple, it's based on Sudoku. But it's an entirely new take on the game. I can't go into details because it's still a few months away, but we're hoping we'll be able to get it out in the next six months."

"Besides porting, are we going to see any original LGP creations in the future?

Prior to my arrival at LGP, Michael had already started on one original creation – a puzzle game. I’m sure now that I’ve taken over the running of LGP, Michael will have more time on his hands to complete this, which will of course be published by LGP. We have a few other ideas between us and I’m very sure that in the future we’ll see several original LGP games."

Last edited by gbudny; 18 July 2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
      I don't know.

"LG: So it is possible that you could publish games for more than one platform?

Michael Simms: In theory yes, but I, and all of my staff, are linux people at heart. We have no interest in porting games to the mac, or to anything else, and so we dont. Saying that, our latest release, Soul Ride, works on x86, ppc, alpha, and sparc Linux."

http://web.archive.org/web/200507120...com/node/10249
      I wasn't saying they should port games to the Mac, I was talking more about taking the Mac ports of games, and porting them to Linux, less development time due to reduced workload/Unix porting already done. Plus Aspyr are already talking to the big boys for their Mac licenses, Linux is probably an easier sell to people already making money from another niche platform.

Comment

Originally posted by dolo View Post
        are gbudny and larian by any chance working at LGP as they're so furiously defending it?
        I don't work for LGP.

Comment

I wasn't saying they should port games to the Mac, I was talking more about taking the Mac ports of games, and porting them to Linux, less development time due to reduced workload/Unix porting already done. Plus Aspyr are already talking to the big boys for their Mac licenses, Linux is probably an easier sell to people already making money from another niche platform.
          They worked with Runesoft which is specializing in porting games to OS X:

Now they don't want talk about their new games for Linux:

"Can you share any enclosed information regarding the upcoming LGP game releases?

As everyone knows we have two games we’ve previously announced, being “Bandits: Phoenix Rising” and “Disciples 2: Dark Prophecy”. These two are both very close to being ready and I’ll be making an announcement about one of them in the very near future. Bandits has already had its beta testing run, so it’s going through some final adjustments before it goes gold. Disciples has been with us for far too long and getting it ready for beta is a huge priority of ours. As far as games beyond that go, we have a few exciting, unannounced titles that we’re working on, but I’m not going to let anything out of the bag just yet "

Comment

a) xorg is crap because it wasn't designed for todays desktop usage. it's big, slow, has a ton of deprecated crap dragging with it, the development pace is slower than the growth of a bonsai tree and we're getting the support for modern graphical features 2 or 3 centuries after other platforms. wayland is finally a step forward and a very welcome one. linux still has some hope if we ditch all the cumbersome antiquated weight that has dragged along all these years.
            The linux kernel wasn't designed for today's desktop usage eithect r. Neither was Mesa.

I am probably being pedantic here, but:

"Large": for comparison, please define "large". Ideally comparing it to the size of the equivalent to the same system in Windows or MacOS.
            "Slow": compared to what? Using open source or binary drivers? Does a slow open source driver mean that X.org is slow or that the driver isn't very optimised?
            "deprecated crap": possibly fair (I genuinely don't know)
            "2 or 3 centuries...": rants are weakened by hyperbole.

Your other points may be valid - I make no comment on them.

Comment

c) LGP ports stuff that is mostly irrelevant. They don't port the big names because nobody big trusts a publisher like this. They don't port the small trendy popular indie games because the developers of those *do the porting themselves* (like pretty much all of the humble bundle participants are doing). So what can they publish? a few good games here and there, mostly it's irrelevant stuff nobody really cares about: the market for stuff like software tycoon or some mah-jong clone is ridiculously small.
              Can you show me other company which published 19 games to Linux (exception is HIB)?

LGP only published Software Tycoon and NingPo MahJong for Linux. Software Tycoon was ported to Linux by Runesoft and NingPo MahJong was ported to Linux by David Hedbor from Eon Games.

I don't know who ported NingPo MahJong to Linux PowerPC.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Games have no relevance, hence game companies (any) also have no relevance.

Isn't that comment a little harsh? There are a lot of people who'd gladly buy a game if it is available for Linux and not all the popular games have been ported for one reason or another

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                  LGP don't sell Postal 2 with DRM.
                  I am aware of this fact, although it does not make buying Postal 2 from LGP a wise buy (older less well supported port, does not include the expansion, more expensive) when compared to buying Postal 2: Complete on Desura. The Shadowgrounds games are in the same boat with the ADDED disadvantage of the fact they ship with DRM from LGP while not being afflicted by this if you buy it from Desura.

I am not attacking LGP, but they have been mismanaged (not maliciously, but accidentally) for the past five or so years and the change in management has yet to bear any fruit. They need to modernize their business, reevaluate the state of the industry, and dump the alienating DRM. That is the only way I can see for them continuing to publish games in the future. And that is what I think most of us still do want.

Comment

Everytime I go out of my way to write up a nice e-mail telling LGP they should put a game like Mind Rover into the Humble Bundle, or at least give up their DRM and start using Desura's distribution service, I just get a notice back saying my e-mail is blocked because they blanket block all the free e-mail service providers (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc.) from sending them e-mail.. That's not very nice customer service, IMO..

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                      Everytime I go out of my way to write up a nice e-mail telling LGP they should put a game like Mind Rover into the Humble Bundle, or at least give up their DRM and start using Desura's distribution service
                      They working on this right now:

Desura is online games! Have you tried free games on Desura? Which ones are your favorites? let's all play together in free online games on Desura!

Comment

Working...
                      X