Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should Valve Do For Linux & Open-Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Valve should contribute to other projects only when it directly benefits them. They're short on developers and have much work to do to achieve their current goals.

In the future, I would like to see some financial integration for donations to F/OSS projects in the same way that commercial projects are paid through Steam. This is probably more significant for Windows or OS X since they don't have built-in package management for third-party apps. Many F/OSS cross-platform projects are popular on all platforms (VLC for example).

Integration with XBMC and MythTV may be a good target since there is some vendor effort in the area of Smart TV.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      I don't see why Valve should contribute to FOSS drivers (i ll be more than happy if they do of course). Its not their business in a way.

Make it run smoothly is their only "obligation" i think.
      Well, considering that the Xorg/Mesa stack is FOSS, it would be logical to directly fix bugs there instead of working around them.
      So if Valve is interested in developing parts of the ecosystem as well, improving drivers is the most obvious aspect.

But there is another aspect Valve could do: Instead of FOSSing Goldsrc (=yet another game engine), I'd rather see Valve release game data of old games under a permissive license to A) allow textures or so to be incorporated into other FOSS games and B) port the games to already FOSS game engines.

Comment

wine

Their dedication is really formidable and I hope other companies are gonna follow their example.

The only thing that's missing now is a broad support by all the other major companies. Well, how about an integration of wine into the steam-client to close that gap 'till the rest of them climbs into the soon-to-be successful linux-boat?

-wine integration

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          I fired them off an email about this earlier today, but let me say it here as well: There are noticeable performance issues when it comes to gaming on a stock Ubuntu system.
          Here's my Achilles heel... I can't play games (or video now) in Unity or GS because tearing is so bad. In GS even games like Braid are literally unplayable. So in my case Steam-on-Linux is dead in the water even before it arrives, and I'll be forced to stick with Windows for gaming and just watch everyone else from the window.

As for the original question... and this is a bit of a personal soapbox... maybe they could make a courtesy call to Logitech and ask them to release Linux drivers for their gaming keyboards. It really shouldn't require that much work.

Comment

1. Be profitable on Linux, one day soon!

2. Flirt with Sony over the OS on PS4?

3. Continue to make brilliant games!!!

4. Create an expanded ecosystem of tools, much like idSoftware started and still used by Xonotic, Warsow, etc.

5. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              I fired them off an email about this earlier today, but let me say it here as well: There are noticeable performance issues when it comes to gaming on a stock Ubuntu system.

Here's a quick look at some of the results of the tests I've conducted earlier this year: A comparison of different desktop environments, when playing a game on wine 1.4.0:

Desktop Average FPS (more is better):
              Unity (3D) 66,24 fps
              Unity 2D 71,38 fps
              openbox 75,04 fps
              Here's a more in-depth (Phoronix) comparison from February and an updated look from June.

What we're seeing is that the Unity 3D desktop, which is the one that's used by the masses, yields noticeably poorer framerates than its (soon-defunct) 2D sibling or more lightweight desktop alternatives. I believe we all agree that something must be done.

Now, I don't have technical knowledge here, but would it be possible to come up with a solution where the desktop environment in a way "goes to sleep" when a full-screen application is running, having little or no impact on gaming performance? This is definitely something that both the Ubuntu developers and Valve should be investigating, especially if they want to deliver a level of performance on par with the other operating system.
              That's not a surprise at all....UBUNTU was ALWAYS a dog as for WINE goes and even with ETQW native client, same s**t.

That's why i always preferred Slackware, XUBUNTU or Linux Mint with XFCE (and a recompiled kernel by me).

Comment

1 . Help out Nouveau devs (notice i don't use Noveau at all and i prefer to use NVIDIA blob that is the way to go as for games goes (IMHO,YMMV) but many in Linux community want a open source video driver so...)

2 . Help out to solve the audio mess....it is still a mess.

3 . Approach Logitech, Razer and Saiktek/MadCatz/Cyborg to influence them to provide simple (and open source if possible) tools to configure their products under Linux.

4 . Start advertize in their site/store that Linux is coming to Steam

5 . Port as many of their games as possible to Linux and really push their partners to do the same

Comment

I think they should pressure Nvidia and AMD to support Wayland with their propierary drivers. Also getting better support for gaming hardware is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Well, considering that the Xorg/Mesa stack is FOSS, it would be logical to directly fix bugs there instead of working around them.
                    So if Valve is interested in developing parts of the ecosystem as well, improving drivers is the most obvious aspect.

But there is another aspect Valve could do: Instead of FOSSing Goldsrc (=yet another game engine), I'd rather see Valve release game data of old games under a permissive license to A) allow textures or so to be incorporated into other FOSS games and B) port the games to already FOSS game engines.
                    Fixing minor bugs yeah but i don't expect them to write an OpenGL 4 state tracker. I expect them to support the blobs initially.

Comment

Valve should spend money in more PTS profiles for games like: HON,0AD,TA-Spring and other profiles.
                      Because if you have more profiles and more benchmark results you can improve the performance.

Valve also should also support other cpu architectures like ARM and Loongson.

Valve should invest in OpenCL and they should start to use this for a ray tracing open source game engine for the next generation of games.

Valve should release old games engines as open source like half-life1 for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X