Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should Valve Do For Linux & Open-Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I got you right, your complains are targeted towards Steams UI?

Never had any issue with it, I'm fine how it is.
    So it's "only" a complaint about the frontend, which I don't share.
    What's important to me is the way the backend is implemented,
    in particular DRM. This is were the meat really is. Interfaces can be
    overhauled relatively easy in comparison.

Btw, not mentioning DRM does not mean a product is free of it.
    DRM can be implemented in various ways, Origin sure is not free of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      If I got you right, your complains are targeted towards Steams UI?
      Never had any issue with it, I'm fine how it is.
      So it's "only" a complaint about the frontend, which I don't share.
      Not entirely - Origin seems to be a lot more responsive, faster and stable both visually and as a system. It feels a much better designed/more modern application.

On the other hand, the UI is useless, there's very little content and afair mine describes itself as 'Origin beta' o_O.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      What's important to me is the way the backend is implemented,
      in particular DRM. This is were the meat really is. Interfaces can be
      overhauled relatively easy in comparison.

Btw, not mentioning DRM does not mean a product is free of it.
      DRM can be implemented in various ways, Origin sure is not free of it.
      Yes - Origin/steam's DRM appears basically the same. What I meant is that steam states 'Game X... DRM: starforce' (or whatever). AFAIR Origin doesn't ever mention the DRM used. But I assume both are essentially the same.

Anyway, Origin (as a system) has unfairly got bad press - imho it's a very good system, with a quick UI revamp it'd be the best online shop... but a shop without many products isn't really a good shop.

It'll be interesting to see what Valve does anyway .

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        No one said that WINE is evil. It is not evil, it is extremely useful. That said, it should not be treated as something it is not: a platform to target in of itself.

Linux will never be a gaming platform unless we have games. But it will also never be a real gaming platform unless we have actual Linux games. If we allow half-measures now we are simply trading in long term growth for short term gain, and that can only hurt us in the long run. We have a clean slate here and we need to build on it the right way. That is why we need to press our case. Linux could become a great gaming platform - but it has to be a Linux gaming platform. Not some weird hybrid.

I should also point out that I have actually had a lot of bad luck running older titles through WINE. The only games that have run really well for me are 1/3 native anyway - games that heavily use OpenGL and other Linux friendly APIs. I have never had any miracles. I actually wish WINE showed more interest in getting older titles to work, as for me, it has often been hit or miss.
        When I say Wine is evil, I meant that game developers will not port because they expect you to use Wine for Linux use, which is common (even when they have Mac ports, wtf?!) . Sorry about your bad luck getting things running but that's evil number 2, it doesn't do everything. Hence that's why my suggestion game companies update Wine to run their games flawlessly so even though Linux may never be the next Xbox with a huge native catalog it will run everything under the sun.

Now to companies like Blizzard who release Mac support but not Linux... That's fine, your OGL ports suck so no worries about you poisoning my system... That's where valve gets points. It's ports look to be comparable performance.

Comment

• One thing that Desura should do now that Steam is coming is get a new client release out. They have been working on getting one branched of from Desurium (the free project) for the last few months but they still unfortunately have only limited developer power and things are taking their time. The client still has a few quirks when it comes to handling installing/uninstalling software, I should be able to play videos directly from the client, and it's performance is currently a little sub-par. These really should be fixed before Steam gets released.

For instance, it is actually much more pleasant to browse Desura pages through a regular browser. Everything loads faster and the videos work (and I do not have Flash installed). Now, thanks to the Purchased Downloads feature (which I am very glad they added) one does not even need the client to get their games up and running, but they should still get a new release out. Desura will continue to have a place on the Linux desktop and they should make sure they are in a position to stay strong here.
          Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 19 July 2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• To be fair to Mac porting houses, Apple ship low end GPUs in all of their systems and they don't support the latest OpenGL features. Hell OSX Still doesn't handle OpenGL 4.0 Linux has had it for years under the nVidia binary blob driver. You can't really blame Mac porting houses for crap performance on Intel GPUs and OpenGL 3.1. Hell the Mac Pros are still using ATi 5770 GPUs, 5770s! they're heaps old! 7970s are the current equivalent card and OSX doesn't even support them! FWIW I owned a Mac Pro dual quadcore system and I used it for gaming and video production. I blame Apple's choice of video hardware. It was a neat system, amazing power/responsiveness. But completely shit at 3d production/gaming. Apple really need to step up on GL support and modern gpu hardware. 680GTX support would have been a nice start along with SLI support. Why pay $5000 for a computer with Amazing CPUs and completely shit GPU power. Most of the gaming/high end multimedia PC applications nowdays support GPU acceleration. I guess Apple kind of expect people to drop in Quadro/Quatro? cards and aren't interested in people who want maximum CPU cores combined with maximum Frames per second low precision GPU capability. It's a shame because right now you can pickup those systems pretty cheaply. I got my dual quad core a year ago for $2000.
            Last edited by DMJC; 19 July 2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Origin: Main reason that i never bought BF3 (witch taking in account is "broken", was a good thing) and never again will buy an EA game.

Is that clear enough about what i think about Origin ?

Comment

• Don't think this has been mentioned yet:

If Valve indeed comes up with a SteamBox in the future, even if they are just testing the waters for now, please consider using Coreboot!!

Comment

• Oh, btw. It would be nice if Valve could hint AMD to this: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=555

It would be pretty cool if I could use the 7970M on my Notebook with Linux

Comment

• Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                    Oh, btw. It would be nice if Valve could hint AMD to this: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=555

It would be pretty cool if I could use the 7970M on my Notebook with Linux
                    Try this: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...871#post272871

Comment

• Thanks for that, but it doesn't help :/

Comment

Working...
                      X