Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    I don't see why they won't support those titles, as Valve owns them. Besides, those games don't really demand that much from current hardware. I see it mainly being what plays on Mac will play on Linux. However, I can see why they want one or 2 launch titles. Starting small is a good plan so they don't get blasted with issues right out of the gate.
    They might not want to port HL2 and it's episodes because it's an "old" game....but i hope i'm wrong....possibly, in a later effort, yes...

I agree with you about amount of initial tittles....L4D2 will be 1st then maybe , because of resources needed to make the port and perceived "cash return speed", they will launch next HL3 and/or CS:GO...then maybe TF2...next will follow.

...and talking about "next will follow", if this is a success story, the other devs will follow next

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
      So...Michael got vindicated. Good!

Anyways, looking forward to what new games Valve will put on Steam for Linux. I'm already thinking about an easy Carmageddon: Reincarnation install that will bring millions to the developers and solidify Linux as a profitable gaming platform.
      Actually, I see it as not being vindicated, but there being proof of previous posts being entirely incorrect.
      (note: I've never said steam/source will never come to linux, merely that any "reporting" on this site was inaccurate and/or misleading).
      It was not official in 2010. Any official statement from Valve today can not change that it was never, ever, official back in 2010. Almost all other information was similarly wrong, with only some items from...April, I think it was, being given any credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.
        No, the last test from Phoronix :
        The performance advantage of 64-bit over 32-bit Ubuntu is clear. If you are still running the 32-bit version on 64-bit capable hardware you should really consider switching with the "Precise Pangolin" now that the 64-bit Flash is on par with the 32-bit version, OpenJDK works well on 64-bit, etc. The 32-bit situation should at least become a bit more interesting with Linux x32 support.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Hello Everybody ....1st post here

Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
          It depends largely on the benchmark.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only advantage of the 32 bit binary, is that it tends to have a smaller memory footprint, and most such systems are without the trappings of multilib or multiarch.

The x32 abi may very well be the default within three years. Almost as small a footprint, but access to additional registers and instructions.

Comment

1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
            1. Open world games would benefit from having the possibility to address more than 3GB RAM.
            2. Point 1 makes this point meaningless. Who cares how fast PAE is, try to run a VM with 4GB RAM on it. Again, some games would really benefit from using a 64 bit client.

It shouldn't be that hard to compile a program for 32 and 64 bit and let the user decide which one to use (or some kind of automatism in the installer).

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              Sure it may sound elitist to those whom have a cynical mind. I'm helping.
              The Linux community is infamous for how helpful they are to newcomers. The community really needs to clean up its act.
              1.) Distrolock is dumb this isn't supporting Linux it's supporting Ubuntu... This is factual it's like saying only supporting Windows is just peachy and fine.... Can you keep up here or is this too elitist for you?
              I thought it was pretty obvious why Ubuntu was getting support only? It really makes no sense to support all distros. Valve wants a distro that is easy and friendly to use, and Ubuntu is #1. Especially since Valve has too much on its plate right now, so limiting themselves to one distro will make it easier to develop. They did say they'll open up to more distros later.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                It depends largely on the benchmark.

The only advantage of the 32 bit binary, is that it tends to have a smaller memory footprint, and most such systems are without the trappings of multilib or multiarch.

The x32 abi may very well be the default within three years. Almost as small a footprint, but access to additional registers and instructions.
                That's from 2009 but actually there is a test from 2012 that shows big (theoretical) advances in the 64bit and i'm now impressed with it....still, in games, 32bit seems better in several tests.

The 2012 article also talks about many of the old problems been solved (like flash....that will fade away anyway with the advance of html5) in 64bit...

OK, it's not that bad as used to be but whatever Valve decides to do in that aspect, will be fine with me

Comment

For those fighting over 32-bit vs. 64-bit, I think it will be 64-bit capable.... If I remember right when I was building L4D2 there, it was doing 64-bit binaries IIRC. There were some weird toolchain issues at the time that are escaping my mind at the moment.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    1. Open world games would benefit from having the possibility to address more than 3GB RAM.
                    2. Point 1 makes this point meaningless. Who cares how fast PAE is, try to run a VM with 4GB RAM on it. Again, some games would really benefit from using a 64 bit client.

It shouldn't be that hard to compile a program for 32 and 64 bit and let the user decide which one to use (or some kind of automatism in the installer).
                    HUH ?!? 32bit with PAE can address more than 3GB !

Who cares about VM and games ?!? we are discussing the implications of native Steam client and games be on 32bit or 64bit...i don't need a VM for that....in fact , even for serious work i never needed a VM....YMMV.

Comment

They might not want to port HL2 and it's episodes because it's an "old" game....but i hope i'm wrong....possibly, in a later effort, yes...
                      What? Old, but the best games in Valve and PC history (according to metacritic). Steam without Half-Life is nothing, Valve without HL is nothing They have to port HL series.

Comment

Working...
                      X