Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    And *this* is why people like me don't develop for Linux.
    Given you prefer 32-bit only 2gb binaries, I somehow feel linux users in general would not appreciate those products

Comment

• 1/2 OT: Serious Sam 3 seems to get a Linux client

Someone at the Steam forums has pointed to this Facebook post by Croteam
      which shows a Serious Sam 3 client running on Linux

I don't know this game series but some people seem to be quite excited about the Linux client.
      Let's hope it's a SoL effect and we see more developers following.

Comment

• That's some seriously good news, entropy.

Comment

• I don't know this game series but some people seem to be quite excited about the Linux client.
          well, I played a shareware version of SS:Second Encounter(I think?!) some time ago(I guess 2003). The only thing I can remember is, that I was at the bottom of a hill and strange monsters came running at me and exploded(?). No idea what it was about or what weapons I had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            The only thing I can remember is, that I was at the bottom of a hill and strange monsters came running at me and exploded(?).
            You are talking about headless kamikazes.
            Last edited by kwahoo; 19 July 2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              well, I played a shareware version of SS:Second Encounter(I think?!) some time ago(I guess 2003). The only thing I can remember is, that I was at the bottom of a hill and strange monsters came running at me and exploded(?). No idea what it was about or what weapons I had.
              Ah, the screaming beheaded kamikazes. That's probably the most iconic enemy in Serious Sam.

You can check out the weapons available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoZEkR8i-A

The defining element of the SS games was the unrelenting waves of enemies that would come down on you with no cover at all. You'd be dodging back and forth firing constantly for minutes at a time before you cleared out an area.

As far as a larger plot, well, there really isn't one. Think Duke Nukem type of writing.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 19 July 2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Let's see when EA steps up with a similar "real" Linux project.
                I'd say it's very likely they announce something soon.

Not because EA is innovative, not because they are courageous and certainly not because
                they love Linux - we know it's not the case - but simply because they are surely heavily
                irritated by this move of a serious competitor.
                It might be just the fear being late at a new market (without having a clear vision).

Anyone remembers the "Valve Summer Deal" statement by EA's VP of Global E-Commerce David DeMartini
                cheaping game IPs and how they [EA] will never go that route?

Soon after they started their own "Summer Sale".

Might be the prototype script for EA on Linux.

Comment

• This is excellent news. I salute Valve!

Comment

• There wasn't an official Valve Linux blog post for weeks now... :/
                    Hope this is a good sign (working hard towards a beta release).
                    Although they promised (in a reply) to post further information after SIGGRAPH.

Comment

Working...
                    X