No announcement yet.

Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, from my experience with Unreal Tournament 3 (where they swapped some of the characters in the fonts) and Mass Effect (with textures), they hit a similar problem and it was never fixed. Of course, it's not exactly the same (they don't embed things in binaries, but rather use "cooking"), but I can see the outcome being more or less the same. Besides, why would you bother with binary patches, if you can just modularise your assets.

Comment

I hate "cooking".....

Because of it in BFBC2 , even the simplest bug that needs only a line of code changed to be solved, end up in a patch with more than 2GB

Each new patch was bigger and bigger than previous.....a true nightmare and pretty stupid.

Comment

Valve is as bad as Apple, and Steam is hostage-ware. You don't own anything, you can't sell it or give it to a friend when you're done. You can't do much at all. It was very slow and buggy for years (haven't tried it lately), required an internet connection, and there were often massive downloads... just to play some offline / single player game that you just bought at *mart not realizing it was Steamified. A shocking surprise to many a gamer.

I can't believe so many Linux'ers are excited about this. Bring games to Linux if you want, but leave that Valve crap on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by slojam View Post
          I can't believe so many Linux'ers are excited about this. Bring games to Linux if you want, but leave that Valve crap on Windows.
          It's because we're not all zealots. Some of us like automatic updates. Some of us like having our saves and settings in the cloud so we don't have to worry about losing them. Some of us like having out game purchases themselves in the cloud so our disk can't break or get lost, and the myriad of other benefits steam offers.

And all I have to give up is the ability to have to go into a store to buy a game? Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by slojam View Post
            For a freetard's view: Steam is malware and I'd never touch it with a ten foot pole.

But them doing it is good for the ecosystem as a whole. So I'll just continue to ignore it, while gaining any other benefits that come with it to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Steam is malware and I'd never touch it with a ten foot pole.

But them doing it is good for the ecosystem as a whole. So I'll just continue to ignore it, while gaining any other benefits that come with it to us all.
              Exactly my stance on this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                For a freetard's view: Steam is malware and I'd never touch it with a ten foot pole.
                And *this* is why people like me don't develop for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  Why? I have a friend who is exclusively Windows who refuses to install Steam because he's paranoid of any kind of electronic purchasing and registration. You just never hear from people like him.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                    For what operating system do people like you develop?

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                      Who are 'people like you' ?

Comment

Working...
                      X