No announcement yet.

Valve Software Finds Bugs With Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulseaudio is awesome, for the reasons stated above. I use a lot of those functions.

Anyways, I'm happy to see Valve tackling some bugs. They certainly have a decent amount of talent there, so it would be wonderful if they started giving some attention to the FOSS video drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      multiple outputs, jack or HDMI outputs, multichannel speakers..
      filters and equalizers or multiple simultaneous
      I've been doing all of that without pulse for years.

Comment

John Carmack did this for Nvidia and ATI with their graphic drivers. Another benefit to have games on Linux, a lot of developers will find flaws.

Comment

Does everything have to devolve into a Pulseaudio rant with you people? Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Does everything have to devolve into a Pulseaudio rant with you people? Sheesh.
            Basically someone always has to post a trollish/offtopic negative comment and then people not realizing what is happening post about it being awesome. To be perfectly I install PA every time I set up a system and appreciate its features but fail to see why everyone gets worked up about it. People don't get all worked up about Xorg/wayland/systemd/sys v init/upstart/schedulers/filesystems, why should they get worked up about the audio layer? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
              People don't get all worked up about..... /schedulers/filesystems,
              Lol, do a search on BFS, BTRFS and Rieser on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                People don't get all worked up about Xorg/wayland/systemd/sys v init/upstart/schedulers/filesystems, why should they get worked up about the audio layer? Doesn't make any sense to me.
                Uhh, yes they do.

There have been tons of flamewars about X/Wayland (no network transparency? X epically sucking?)

systemd/upstart/etc. - init should be simple, red hat wants systemd to take over everything, ubuntu has NIH syndrome, etc.

filesystems - ZFS? BTRFS? ReiserFS?

schedulers - CFS vs BFS?

It's simply what linux users do - complain on user forums.

Comment

How exactly is this news? When someone reports a bug, we get an article? Seriously.... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    How exactly is this news? When someone reports a bug, we get an article? Seriously.... :-/
                    This is a disguised "They're still hiring!" reminder. Everybody who's up to something new discovers bugs in upstream components. Now if the party starts proposing fixes upstream, that deserves some attention.

Comment

Hm... I think in bigger terms, this article is a bit of an overstatement. I'm sure companies find problems in the Linux kernel all of time (just like they do in Mac and Windows!).

I guess if anything was to be taken away from this, is that we have one that's specifically geared towards gaming that is throwing some weight around in getting fixes done?

Comment

Working...
                      X