Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Arena Reloaded - Renderer Improvements, Etc

Phoronix: Alien Arena Reloaded - Renderer Improvements, Etc

At the end of June I mentioned Alien Arena: Reloaded would be released next week. Today in fact that was made a reality with the release of this open-source CRX-engine-powered game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screenshot dump

Comment

would be cool if it had a team fortress like mode but with the aliens

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        would be cool if it had a team fortress like mode but with the aliens
        Interesting you mention that. The Team Core Assault mode is going to get some work done on it in the future, and one of the ideas I was pondering was to allow teams to build defensive items, structures, etc.

I'd be remiss also if I didn't take the time to mention the new Mind Eraser weapon in this release. Too often we(and other fast-paced FPS) get accused of not expanding the gameplay in any fashion. We decided on taking a step in that direction with our base deathmatch mode. It's not a drastic change, but it's something that will enhance the play, and add some more strategy to it. It's best explained in this video:

Comment

It should be noted that this version contains corrections to the test code, so benchmarking with Phoronix Test Suite is now possible. Not ready for prime time, but there is a crude beginning in our SVN repository. Hoping to refine this in the future; input (preferably constructive) is welcome.

Comment

Running wonderfully on high settings on my HD4850 with r600g .

Comment

When will this hit Desura then?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                When will this hit Desura then?
                I find this curious. Could you make a sales pitch on why it (or any other indie game) should?

It's not like Desura has a huge audience, it's more trouble to post updates to more places, etc.

Comment

I updated the standalone installers on Desura, they are taking their sweet time to approve.

I agree though, Desura is a bit of a pain to work with, heck, I can't even figure out where to change that line where it's saying version 7.51 is the latest.

Comment

First, to be clear, I really like the idea of Desura and its support for Linux. Looking forward to the day when Steam supports Linux. I have a Steam account and a non-gamer, but somewhat playable, Windows laptop. Lately, have been running Steam and TESV:Skyrim on WINE on my Linux machine (with an GeForce GTS 450. Sorry, L. T.).

However... a few years back, when I got into development on Alien Arena, the Linux release package had a Makefile, but also included a binary. Pretty much evolutionary from the Quake 2 and DOS roots. Worked ok, sort of, if installed in the user home directory. But, with Linux, of course, this is non-standard. Distro packagers, with good reason, installed the program and data in /usr. Being eager to learn more about packaging of Linux GPL'd programs, and ignorant of the dangers, I embarked on a GNU Autotools project. ... Months later, we had it sorted, leaving the building of binaries to the distros or the user. For a small, non-commercial, development group, this worked better -- fewer user problems, faster incorporation in distros.

Not long ago, I tackled updating the Linux version on Desura. Damn ... back to building release binaries (32 and 64 bit), and installation in user's home directory. Have not had the time to master that, yet; have noted that it has some kind of system to install library dependencies. IMO, it is pretty clear that what is needed is a system that builds distro-specific packages. (My soapbox rant on this is: Debian is an OS, Fedora is an OS, Gentoo is an OS, ... Linux is not an OS. Ergo, TANSTAALB - There Ain't No Such Thing As Linux Binary.) Do not know much about it, but openSUSE Build Service seems like a better approach.

We will try to get the Desura thing sorted. But, having gotten Linux support for Alien Arena to a point where it is manageable for a small, volunteer development group, it is a little annoying to have to deal with a new and different system.

For those with some skills, doing your own build from the tarball works well. Our resources are limited, but our "regulars" update from our SVN repository between official releases, so our release package is tested and stable.

At Alien Arena: AKA strat, stratocaster, stratokaztr

Comment

Working...
                    X