• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    So we have...

- A video driver debacle
    - A kernel that changes every three minutes
    - A sound system that consistently produces audio skips
    - Window managers and desktop environments that simply don't work

Now ask oneself... what could possibly go wrong?
    Microsoft and Apple seem to have gotten by with that for a long time... >:-D

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    I'd fully agree if they had written

Instead they more or less encourage submissions of "other platforms".
    I'm not sure i understand. They state that project must run on windows, because that's where the vast majority of money is and they are a business trying to make money. Then they state the fact that currently steam works on both windows and macs.

I'm not sure what people wanted.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
    Would be kinda pointless for them to start pushing Linux when their Linux client is not yet finished / released.
    I'd fully agree if they had written

"To remain in Steam Greenlight and qualify for distribution via Steam, your game must run on Windows PC or Mac."
    Instead they more or less encourage submissions of "other platforms".

Leave a comment:

• rustybroomhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    On a side note: Valve will start its new Greenlight project soon.

Seems like they are still afraid to mention Linux
    Would be kinda pointless for them to start pushing Linux when their Linux client is not yet finished / released.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    On a side note: Valve will start its new Greenlight project soon.

Seems like they are still afraid to mention Linux

What systems must my game run on?

To remain in Steam Greenlight and qualify for distribution via Steam, your game must at least run on a Windows PC.
    You can be also developing for any other platform you like, but we are only able to support PC & Mac releases at this time.

Leave a comment:

• FutureSuture
    replied
    Originally posted by Plombo View Post
    I agree with the gist of your post, but I think it's worth pointing out that due to the phenomenon of Valve Time, "this year" could easily mean "next year".
    Valve Time indeed. I do hope it isn't true, but one has to be rational too.

Leave a comment:

• kwahoo
    replied
    Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
    That's probably because Source has been very ATI friendly since the beginning. When Source first came out, Valve's official recommendations were for the ATI 9600 or 9800 PRO. The competing bleeding edge engine at the time, Doom 3, recommended an NVIDIA 5900 or 6800.

Back then I had a 5950 Ultra, my friend had a 9800 PRO. My card was faster and beat the 9800 PRO by almost 10FPS in Doom 3, but ATI's hardware performed the same as mine in HL2. Valve took their time optimizing for ATI's architecture and continues to do so.
    Carmack was asked (Bonusweb):
    No doubt you heard about GeForce FX fiasco in Half-Life 2. In your opinion, are these results representative for future DX9 games (including Doom III) or is it just a special case of HL2 code preferring ATI features, as NVIDIA suggests?
    And the answer was:
    Unfortunately, it will probably be representative of most DX9 games. Doom has a custom back end that uses the lower precisions on the GF-FX, but when you run it with standard fragment programs just like ATI, it is a lot slower. The precision doesn't really matter to Doom, but that won't be a reasonable option in future games designed around DX9 level hardware as a minimum spec.
    Edit: And Newell opinion http://techreport.com/articles.x/5636/1
    Last edited by kwahoo; 04 July 2012, 02:21 PM. Reason: wrong source

Leave a comment:

• Kristian Joensen
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    A stupid debate around bullshit. Steam builds on top of stable standards and it's fine. Last time Quake 3 stopped working was never.

Besides... Valve has always been AMD and ATI fans. They're talking with AMD and nVidia will be nowhere near the Steambox, just like the Xbox360.

Source works fine on AMD hardware on both Windows, Wine and the Xbox360, none of which have any nVidia related crap anywhere near it.

---

So to get ontopic: Valve is awesome as usual! (and late as usual)
    Steambox? Why does everyone keep mentioning that? That was debunked already.

Edit:

Also as far as AMD vs Nvidia goes, I will never ever even remotely consider buying any system with a GPU from AMD after I experienced this. Hardware malfunction error BSOD != my idea of fun.

Edit2:

Yes, Valve is awesome.
    Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 04 July 2012, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kazetsukai
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Source works fine on AMD hardware on both Windows, Wine and the Xbox360, none of which have any nVidia related crap anywhere near it.
    That's probably because Source has been very ATI friendly since the beginning. When Source first came out, Valve's official recommendations were for the ATI 9600 or 9800 PRO. The competing bleeding edge engine at the time, Doom 3, recommended an NVIDIA 5900 or 6800.

Back then I had a 5950 Ultra, my friend had a 9800 PRO. My card was faster and beat the 9800 PRO by almost 10FPS in Doom 3, but ATI's hardware performed the same as mine in HL2. Valve took their time optimizing for ATI's architecture and continues to do so.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    So we have...

- A video driver debacle
    - A kernel that changes every three minutes
    - A sound system that consistently produces audio skips
    - Window managers and desktop environments that simply don't work

Now ask oneself... what could possibly go wrong?
    A stupid debate around bullshit. Steam builds on top of stable standards and it's fine. Last time Quake 3 stopped working was never.

Besides... Valve has always been AMD and ATI fans. They're talking with AMD and nVidia will be nowhere near the Steambox, just like the Xbox360.

---

So to get ontopic: Valve is awesome as usual! (and late as usual)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X