Gabe Newell Showing Valve On Linux To Partners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
    Have nVidia or AMD even announced that their proprietary drivers will support Wayland? I understand that it's a little bit early to promise this as Wayland is far away from being the de facto standard for the Linux graphics stack, but without the official drivers Wayland will have a hard time.
    At this moment there is nothing to support. Compiz and KWin doesn't support Wayland protocol yet.

Comment

"Linux is not for games, period" is a silly thing to say when many people use it for games just fine. Sure, there are things that can be better, but dismissing the entire platform in that way is defeatist and fixes nothing.

Comment

"Hey! Sorry this is a rathar late reply.

The rest of the fudge pack will end up on Desura, I need to clear some time and get that sorted.

Complete was always included, we just changed the name to reflect that.

And no, Valve will not let us release Postal 2 on Steam, sadly.
        "

Desura is online games! Have you tried free games on Desura? Which ones are your favorites? let's all play together in free online games on Desura!

What other games for Linux Valve will not let release on Steam?
        Last edited by gbudny; 03 July 2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
          "Hey! Sorry this is a rathar late reply.

The rest of the fudge pack will end up on Desura, I need to clear some time and get that sorted.

Complete was always included, we just changed the name to reflect that.

And no, Valve will not let us release Postal 2 on Steam, sadly.
          "

Desura is online games! Have you tried free games on Desura? Which ones are your favorites? let's all play together in free online games on Desura!

What other games for Linux Valve will not let release on Steam?
          Postal 2 is generally in bad taste, so I am not surprised Steam doesn't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
            Postal 2 is generally in bad taste, so I am not surprised Steam doesn't want it.
            Plus Windows and Mac versions are also not available via Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              No, we just have one idiot who has no clue. We have Ubuntu LTS and it switches kernel every 5 years and everything usually works. It's not the vb, .net, drivers and registry mess like in Windows pal. While Windows is considered usable there's no chance it won't work with Ubuntu.
              Perhaps the tone of my post was a bit on the snarky side -- I guess my frustration cup hath runneth over recently. But I think it is valid to say that Linux is not ready for gaming enthusiasts (Valve's primary market), unless those gamers happen to be familiar with all the idiosyncrasies of Linux (which is a tiny user base to begin with -- Venn diagram and all).

You mentioned the LTS... Shortly after I installed it, a new kernel was pushed out. Install... Reboot... Blinking cursor. Okay, I know what's wrong there (since I'm quite familiar with the problem), and yes, this isn't directly of Valve's concern. But if Valve is looking to move their customers from Windows to Linux (perhaps to avoid the Windows app store), then we can all be sure that newcomers are not going to tolerate blinking-cursors-on-reboot.

While I can handle these kinds of quirks quite easily, I have to admit that even I get frustrated at times... When I'm just looking to do X but a roadblock is thrown up and I have to waste my time fixing something before I can get the job done.

I'm just saying that what we have currently is nowhere near good enough for anything other than hacker and hobbyist adoption... and playing ostrich does not make any of the problems go away.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
                However Valve will let RWS release Postal 3 (Windows) on Steam::

Good or Insane? The choice is yours. Following the Apocalyptic end to the Postal Dude’s week in Paradise, we follow him and his insane pitbull Champ as they emigrate to its appropriately named sister city, Catharsis.

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  You mentioned the LTS... Shortly after I installed it, a new kernel was pushed out. Install... Reboot... Blinking cursor. Okay, I know what's wrong there (since I'm quite familiar with the problem), and yes, this isn't directly of Valve's concern. But if Valve is looking to move their customers from Windows to Linux (perhaps to avoid the Windows app store), then we can all be sure that newcomers are not going to tolerate blinking-cursors-on-reboot.
                  Ehmm... google for "windows update bsod". If users can tolerate this, they will tolerate a blinking cursor.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Ehmm... google for "windows update bsod". If users can tolerate this, they will tolerate a blinking cursor.
                    When it occurs nearly as frequently as it occurs in Linux distros, then there would be a valid comparison here.

Comment

Driver fiasco damned Linux is ready, bring it!

Comment

Working...
                      X