Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unvanquished: A Very Promising Open-Source Game

Phoronix: Unvanquished: A Very Promising Open-Source Game

While most haven't yet heard of the Unvanquished game, it's a promising but yet-to-be-officially-released open-source multi-player game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally, the only FOSS game I've seen recently that I've been impressed with is http://clintbellanger.net/rpg/.

It's even an RPG, which is not something I consider it possible for FOSS to actually complete at high quality, but it's already got a lot of good stuff.

Comment

Those Unvanquished animations and models are very impressive. That is commercial quality, and then some.

Comment

So it's Tremulous with shiny graphics? Yawn... Like we need another FPS...

Thanks elanthis, Flare looks way more interesting then an FPS Strategy game that will likely define strategy the way twitchers do when comparing Unreal Tournament to Quake...

Comment

I would love to see a scheme set up that expanded upon the Kickstarter and Humble0like projects out there, possibly within the likes of Desura and Steam et al, that allowed people to spend their money on continual development of these open projects. MMO and DLC style for example. Even after 'final' release. From what I can tell, quite often they just need more dev's and artists instead of hard cash, but if money gives some qualified people such as artists to focus more fully on multiple projects and get some sort of return, where's the loss? Also, the artwork probably should have the caveat that it goes public as well. It's a big turn off for some I know, but some of us like to share and if someone doesn't want to, that's their choice =)

My point; Being a non-technical observer I would love to support, monetarily, games like Flare and Planeshift. I'm pretty sure there are millions of other's who are in the same vein.
          Hi

Comment

The video of the imrod isn't actually related to Unvanquished. It's some work one of our animators previously did before joining the project. We've also just released alpha 5 a few hours ago (mac build should be available shortly).

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            So it's Tremulous with shiny graphics? Yawn... Like we need another FPS...

Thanks elanthis, Flare looks way more interesting then an FPS Strategy game that will likely define strategy the way twitchers do when comparing Unreal Tournament to Quake...
            We're currently re-working gameplay so if you have any suggestions regarding gameplay I'd love to hear it.

Comment

Yes, could you please remove video with imrod because that model(as well as animation) is not going to be in Unvanquished. And, if that is possible, could you please replace an acid tube video with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOwXgKSpR_8 ?

Comment

Yes, that video with imrod model(as well as animation) is not going to be in Unvanquished. And could you please replace acid tube video with this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOwXgKSpR_8

Comment

Wake me up when Linux devs stop taking the "multiplayer" shortcut and actually start coding some AI into the games.

Comment

I have a few suggestions

Now I know I may get flamed for this but....a bit of the reason most ppl are pissed at so many fps games is because they all follow the same quake and UT baked gameplay. No ironsights, jump around, etc. Now with tremulous, it has a really nice feature which is base building and not just lone wolf hopping around, its why i like the gameplay more than most. But I would like it VERY much if there was idk, ironsights or something on some of the guns. It just made me feel so dissapointed that I couldnt use those cool red dot sights on the weps u currently have retextured. Thats one of the biggest ones for me really. It would also be nice if we could see the alien madables while they are running or fighting. Otherwise, I like the gameplay, and I think the way you have redone the animations and textures thus so far is AMAZING, continue using that xreal based engine, man its a beauty to look at, by far, best looking open source game by far.

Comment

Working...
                    X