No announcement yet.

Unity 4 Game Engine Has Native Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a tiny little problem with the linux "support": it's not possible to develop with Unity on linux...

Comment

Too bad

Too bad it is a proprietary game engine.

source or gtfo!

Comment

I think some of you guys would complain if they hung you with a brand new rope.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          Is it a proprietary rope or is it a rope based on open standards?

Comment

An open noose only gets problematic when it closes.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
              don't get me wrong
              it's awesome they are doing this
              and having linux support as a target-platform may mean a port of the editor sometime in the future
              but still kind of sad (stupid headlines and expectations while reading them )

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Too bad it is a proprietary game engine.

source or gtfo!
                May be you volunteer to write a comparable open source engine?

Comment

While I wish the editor was on linux this does appear to be a good step and knowing their previous tools, ports should be easy. Also how many people here bug fix massive projects frequently? If not why does the licence on the code matter so much if you only plan to use the product and not mod it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
                    don't get me wrong
                    it's awesome they are doing this
                    and having linux support as a target-platform may mean a port of the editor sometime in the future
                    but still kind of sad (stupid headlines and expectations while reading them )
                    All I got out of the headline was that developers using this to make games can now click a "make Linux binary version too" button. I guess I'm just easier to please. But ultimately this removes one more bar to providing Linux with games - the "it's too expensive to port" card can't be played with this development kit anymore, and I think that's always a good thing.

The web player is another story if I understand things correctly, but as web games of all stripes tend to suck, I can't say that I'm losing sleep over it (who said QuakeLive? Quiet, you.)

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      Time to decide what matters more, kids: loving more Linux games, or hating Mono and saying it's useless!
                      Why would anyone care if they're using mono in their closed source engine or not? The most engines are using c++, so f*ck MS mono, but love Unity.

Comment

Working...
                      X