No announcement yet.

GOG Game Service May Come To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they tuned Witcher, they could have updated the main version to include those fixes. But they didn't. So I assumed the fixes were in Wine.

Comment

There are some games that don't have official ports but do have open source rewrites like The Settlers 2. I have created a preliminary Gentoo ebuild for this and other games with official ports. Their packaging format (innosetup) was a total bitch to work with (we had to use Wine to extract) but someone very recently wrote a native Linux extractor. I haven't had chance to try it yet but it must have been quite a task. It's a very complicated format.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothis View Post
        GOG, Desura, Gamolith, Ubuntu Software Center, Console Classix
        How is it that Steam will be so late to catch up with other digital distribution services yet seems to be the one getting the most attention?
        Just to be clear, GOG doesn't exist on Linux yet, so support still needs to be shown by voting in throngs. There are some other requests involving Linux you guys could vote on.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          If they tuned Witcher, they could have updated the main version to include those fixes.
          They doesn't need to, because main Windows version works fine without this fixes.

Comment

Voted! There's definitely some titles I would like to see from there.

Comment

Originally posted by rewind View Post
              Voted! There's definitely some titles I would like to see from there.
              As do I. GOG is already my favourite digital distributor but if they started to seriously support Linux as well...

I am hoping for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004. You?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Native MIDI is handled by ALSA in general. The sound drivers don't have much to do with it.

Try to rerpoduce MIDI in a game/game emulator platform without Timidity or Fluidsynth in a SoundBlaster X-FI or in an integrated Intel HDA audio device.
                You can't, because that cards haven't a midi device file on /dev.

Then try the same with a SoundBlaster Live! and note the difference.

Games supporting General MIDI run fine here. All I have to do is install FluidSynth and QSynth (a nice GUI for FS), run QSynth, load a soundfont in it, then ALSA uses FluidSynth (controlled by QSynth) for MIDI output, and DOSBox uses ALSA for native MIDI. And it sounds fantastic. Much better than in Windows with its shitty soft synth.
                Yes, I agree the sound quality is good, but what I was ranting for is for poor performance.
                And you may think performance issues are associated in these DOS games only because of DosBox.

But I also experienced bad performance in Scummvm using a software midi sequencer on a machine with an Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6 GHz.
                A machine, that I know it's not a modern gamer computer, but surely, if you could run an hypothetical native version of that games, would be more than 20 times sufficient.

We are talking about games designed for 386 and 486!

It's very sad, that with this computer, you can emulate PlayStation games with a good framerate and can't do the same with old MS-DOS'.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Why would you do that?
                  That's exactly my point. The installer is a .exe, so to install you need wine. And once you get it installed, the shortcuts will point to the windows version of DOSbox. If you want to use the native version, you've got to go in and tweak things manually.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                    That's exactly my point. The installer is a .exe, so to install you need wine. And once you get it installed, the shortcuts will point to the windows version of DOSbox. If you want to use the native version, you've got to go in and tweak things manually.
                    Here is the native extractor I mentioned. Note that I've never tried it myself.

A tool to unpack installers created by Inno Setup. Contribute to dscharrer/innoextract development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                      As do I. GOG is already my favourite digital distributor but if they started to seriously support Linux as well...

I am hoping for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004. You?
                      HoMM3 on Linux was only released without add-ons and subsequent fixes. Since almost everyone now plays this game with all those add-ons included, Linux version is not worth the hassle, really... The Windows version works fine in Wine.

OT: I totally recommend trying the Heroes3HD mod:
                      Русская версия HoMM 3 HD - a non-official fan made addon (multifunction patch) for Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Initially, the addon was created to change the original game resolution 800x600 to a bigger but now it has even more features. HoMM 3 HD does not affect the original gameplay and

It doesn't change the gameplay but allows for higher resolutions and moves some buttons from submenus to the main menu, etc. etc. All changes are optional.

Comment

Working...
                      X