X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    If I pay for proprietary software, then I am just a loser consumer.
    I don't want to pay for proprietary software.

If I pay for open source software, then I am enabling further development and contributions to the community. That is a good thing, its what I want to do.
    People like you are why DRM is infesting this planet...

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Right.

And it follows that you wouldn't use that proprietary software at all.
    I actually have to agree. This is not really making that much of a protest otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied

If I pay for open source software, then I am enabling further development and contributions to the community. That is a good thing, its what I want to do.
    Right.

And it follows that you wouldn't use that proprietary software at all.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    You aren't taking the high road doing that... you aren't forced to take these people's work for nothing to donate to charity, you can fund the charity directly.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    You aren't taking the high road doing that... you aren't forced to take these people's work for nothing to donate to charity, you can fund the charity directly.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    If you want to donate to charity, then donate to charity.

But don't give $0 to the game developers and then play their games.
    I like giving to charities, I want to give to charities.

But I am not going to give $1 to developers of proprietary software.
    Sure if they make it open source, I'll pay.
    But wont pay for closed source proprietary software.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    Agree with this, like overdose is doing:

http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose?a=537463
    Could you please stop posting about this unless they actually pledge to release a Linux version? The ideas behind the game are sound but unless they actually do the reasonable thing that many other crowd-sourced games are doing and commit to a Linux version I could not care less.

Going back on topic, I personally have never had a problem with the quality of titles in the Humble Indie Bundles. My only complaint is when certain games and certain developers tend to get preferential treatment. In fact, I would say that the HIB guys are getting a bit too trendy and are focusing too much on what games are selling the best elsewhere or what is the most well known.

I would rather for the HIB to be more like they appeared to be initially: an easy way to bring attention to lower key cross-platform developers. I do not have anything necessarily against including more well known Indies, but the way they fall over themselves for certain titles while ignoring others that really want to get in is kind of disquieting to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    If you want to donate to charity, then donate to charity.

But don't give $0 to the game developers and then play their games.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    And don't give me 2005 or so games for obvious reasons. What was 7 years ago AAA, now is obviously not AAA any longer since the standards for AAA rise as time goes by.
    Ah yes, because the new shooter that is the same as the old shooter is SOOOO worthy of being called "AAA"?

You don't think that massive amounts of advertising dollars have anything to do with if a game sells or not? With enough money in advertising you could sell people a current era "AAA" game that could have easily been done on the SNES or the Saturn or the Playstation, just with shiny graphics, oh wait, they already do that!

So sorry if I, like many people that are old enough to have played games over the last 20+ years to know a thing or two about how great those "old used to be AAA" titles still hold up as being overall BETTER games then most of the most highly touted games of the current generation.

Seriously, these days for each console generation there are maybe 10 games per generation actually worth playing, same goes with the main stream PC gaming, the vast majority of the current crop are the same game I've already played a hundred times before under diferent names from dozens of developrs.

So yeah, you are a moron.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Though, maybe I could buy and 100% proceeds to charity and 0% to developers and 0% to HIB?
    Yes, this has been possible with the custom payment option for several HIBs now.

I usually dump most of the purchase into the EFF.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X