X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directhex
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    However, I freaked out when I found out Bastion and Sword&Sorcery used mono.
    S&S does not use Mono.

Why would I want a technology that's a derivative of a framework from a company that still has to prove they are willing to compete on equal terms instead of waving around bogus patents?
    What's wrong with SDL?
    Bastion was written originally as an Xbox Live Arcade title. They didn't rewrite it from scratch for different platforms, they stuck with the existing code & fixed up the middleware to handle it.

Between that and the WINE bottle... I chose Linux because I wanted as little to do with microsoft as possible, what's so hard to understand?
    Most people don't use Linux because they're on a crusade, they use it because it's better?

Worst of all is that pointing out that kind of stuff gets you "darn whiners, be happy you get games". And still having microsoft control what I can play on an OS they want gone? Screw that!
    How, precisely, are Microsoft controlling your ability to play Bastion?

I'm thankful to developers considering my platform, but seriously guys, that doesn't help me in the long run if you're only focusing on your immediate convenience.
    So you'd have done a from-scratch rewrite of Bastion to a platform that you find more tasteful, in the same time or less as the minimal patching of MonoGame to allow it to work on OSX and Linux?

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Comparatively high profile games in this one.

However, I freaked out when I found out Bastion and Sword&Sorcery used mono.
    Why would I want a technology that's a derivative of a framework from a company that still has to prove they are willing to compete on equal terms instead of waving around bogus patents?
    What's wrong with SDL?

Between that and the WINE bottle... I chose Linux because I wanted as little to do with microsoft as possible, what's so hard to understand?

Worst of all is that pointing out that kind of stuff gets you "darn whiners, be happy you get games". And still having microsoft control what I can play on an OS they want gone? Screw that!

I'm thankful to developers considering my platform, but seriously guys, that doesn't help me in the long run if you're only focusing on your immediate convenience.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I actually have to agree. This is not really making that much of a protest otherwise.
    Yes it is, because I am voting with my wallet.
    I give money to open source software developers while refusing to pay proprietary software developers.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    People like you are why DRM is infesting this planet...
    How so?
    HIB allows me to give 0% to HIB and 0% to developers, and 100% to charity.
    If they didn't like this, they would have prevented this. I am allowed to.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    I don't think I'm alone in using the HIBs as a reminder to donate money to the EFF, and so what if I slash the payouts to the developers and usually don't give the HIB team a cut? as before, I'm not violating anyone's copyright as these companies agreed to these terms, they are merely holding a charity benefit, they are using their games to promote charities and to gauge their future success in the market by using the HIB as an adverting launchpad to reach many more people then they normally would. But we as charitable donators don't have to actually give the developers anything as the organization is fine with receiving $0.01 dollars per downloader.

Besides, it's only the stupid companies that are actual using the HIB to LAUNCH a new game, they needed to launch via Desura, Gamolith and Steam, wait a year to see how sales go then use the HIB to get a final boost in sales and keep their name out there as well as raise excess capital for their next game.

So yeah, I'm perfectly fine with giving all of the $20-50 I spend on HIBs that aren't a stupid money grab of previously released games to the EFF. And maybe it's for political reasons I don't want the EFF showing up in my credit card statement, I may be paranoid, but the US government is trying really hard to use Orwellian novels as a governance manual...

[EDIT]
    And nowhere did I say anything about propritary software, sure I don't perfer it, but I don't mind it for a game, I'm only wholly against it being pert of the driver stack, hence why I don't use the blob drivers.
    I didn't realize i had switched from talking from uid over to you.

uid has been all over these forums talking about how he doesn't pay for any proprietary software and just downloads it for free.

I wasn't even particularly discussing the hib in regards to him, that was just the current topic in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Cool.

Then you'll be consistent and not play the games you didn't pay for. Nothing wrong with that.
    Nope, I don't subscribe to your holier then thou morality. I paid into the charity of my choosing that they where promoting, any money given to the developers is a tip for their participation in this charity fund drive and nothing more.

It's people like yourself that stupidly think the HIB is actually a business model instead of what it is: Games being used as an incentive for you to donate to charity.
    Last edited by Kivada; 19 June 2012, 01:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    I don't think I'm alone in using the HIBs as a reminder to donate money to the EFF, and so what if I slash the payouts to the developers and usually don't give the HIB team a cut? as before, I'm not violating anyone's copyright as these companies agreed to these terms, they are merely holding a charity benefit, they are using their games to promote charities and to gauge their future success in the market by using the HIB as an adverting launchpad to reach many more people then they normally would. But we as charitable donators don't have to actually give the developers anything as the organization is fine with receiving $0.01 dollars per downloader.

Besides, it's only the stupid companies that are actual using the HIB to LAUNCH a new game, they needed to launch via Desura, Gamolith and Steam, wait a year to see how sales go then use the HIB to get a final boost in sales and keep their name out there as well as raise excess capital for their next game.

So yeah, I'm perfectly fine with giving all of the $20-50 I spend on HIBs that aren't a stupid money grab of previously released games to the EFF. And maybe it's for political reasons I don't want the EFF showing up in my credit card statement, I may be paranoid, but the US government is trying really hard to use Orwellian novels as a governance manual...
    Cool.

Then you'll be consistent and not play the games you didn't pay for. Nothing wrong with that.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    But if you're going to play any of the other games, you should at least offer some kind of money IMO.

It's a lot of hard work making games like that. If people aren't going to be rewarded for their work, they just won't do it... and the talent will be lost.
    Apparently you didn't exist before the HIB?

Which is exactly why they accept direct donations.

I don't take any issue with format swapping. But is that the only one you are playing for free? It certainly didn't sound like it before.

Edit:
    I dislike proprietary software as much as the next guy, but if you think it's ok to violate their copyrights, you are also arguing that it would be fine for them to violate the GPL. There's no difference. In that direction, lies the Chinese system, where manufacturers violate the GPL constantly, just like they all pirate Windows and other software.

[EDIT]
    And nowhere did I say anything about propritary software, sure I don't perfer it, but I don't mind it for a game, I'm only wholly against it being pert of the driver stack, hence why I don't use the blob drivers.
    Last edited by Kivada; 19 June 2012, 01:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    uh huh...

So, DRM didn't exist before the HIB apprently?
    Apparently you didn't exist before the HIB?

I see the money going to the EFF to fight shit like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, UEFI locked bootloaders, etc is a far better use of that money.
    Which is exactly why they accept direct donations.

Take Psychonauts in the current bundle, I bought it when it orriginally came out for $35. Why should I pay again for a game that I already own just because I'm getting the ability to play it on a different platform? The game itself is identical, there is no new content in the Linux version.
    I don't take any issue with format swapping. But is that the only one you are playing for free? It certainly didn't sound like it before.

Edit:
    I dislike proprietary software as much as the next guy, but if you think it's ok to violate their copyrights, you are also arguing that it would be fine for them to violate the GPL. There's no difference. In that direction, lies the Chinese system, where manufacturers violate the GPL constantly, just like they all pirate Windows and other software.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 18 June 2012, 11:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Take Psychonauts in the current bundle, I bought it when it orriginally came out for $35. Why should I pay again for a game that I already own just because I'm getting the ability to play it on a different platform? The game itself is identical, there is no new content in the Linux version.
    You shouldn't have to. Which means you can slide that number down to $0 if you wish.

But if you're going to play any of the other games, you should at least offer some kind of money IMO.

It's a lot of hard work making games like that. If people aren't going to be rewarded for their work, they just won't do it... and the talent will be lost.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    People like you are why DRM is infesting this planet...
    uh huh...

So, DRM didn't exist before the HIB apprently?

All the companies involved agreed to the terms, they've started putting games from previous bundles into some of the newer bundles, if I've already got the game why should I pay them twice? When I see weak bundles I don't give a tip to the HIB and I don't give any money to the Child'sPlay charity as I see the money going to the EFF to fight shit like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, UEFI locked bootloaders, etc is a far better use of that money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X