Humble Indie Bundle V Generates Five Million USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Do you even have a clue what a real tripple A game means?
    Do you even have a clue what a real amateurish game means?

Hint: award-winning lower-budget games are not amateurish. Badly made games of *any* budget are amateurish.

And Psychonauts had a budget of $13 million in 2005 dollars, which is quite comfortably into AAA territory, certainly for Majesco who originally funded it.

Comment

Did not buy

I did not buy it, because it was not open source.
      If it were open source, I would buy.

Though, maybe I could buy and 100% proceeds to charity and 0% to developers and 0% to HIB?

Comment

5 million $ is more than enough to pack a AAA game. If they continue packing amateurish and average games then the humble bundle will likely lose most of its steam in the mid term.
        What "amateurish" and "average" games are you talking about? Limbo? Or Bastion? Or Psychonauts? Anyway, I can't follow you: The made 5 million *after* they had chosen the games - not the other way round.

Comment

Do you even have a clue what a real tripple A game means?

By your logic "Tetris" qualifies as AAA since it had lots of market share for ages, awards and fans across all countries. But it doesn't make it AAA.

Hence, AAA means stuff like Call of Duty, Left4Dead, you name it. Show me such a sophisticated and high quality game and I'll give in, for now the Humble Bundle packs a range amateurish & average stuff - which doesn't mean it's uncool to play (even tetris is fun for lots of folks).
          As a Linux user I would be most amazed to find titles like "Left4Dead" and the likes for my platform (and after all the Humble Bundle is all about DRM-free and cross-platform). Even better I could get it for, say, 1 dollar or less. OTOH they could bundle something like Quake 2 - since this was a triple-A title - some time ago? Would this suffice for you?

(Perhaps some basic thinking *before* posting might help.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I did not buy it, because it was not open source.
            If it were open source, I would buy.
            Why? Are you planning to fix bugs etc? There is no DRM in the bundle games... I just don't understand. (yes I know what Richard told us)
            Last edited by Sverro2; 15 June 2012, 06:48 AM. Reason: now -> know

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Though, maybe I could buy and 100% proceeds to charity and 0% to developers and 0% to HIB?
              Nope, because the bundle has now ended. Maybe next time.

FWIW, these bundles DO result in improvements to Free Software.

Here are some fixes from the Bastion port:

Comment

Tetris was considered a killer app and AAA of its time.

Cool that both bastion and limbo made the zero punctuation top 5 :-D

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  Tetris was considered a killer app and AAA of its time.
                  It was a system seller - millions of systems - but doesn't meet the modern definition for "Triple A title" - a term which only really started appearing in the CD-ROM game era, which is rather more modern than the Game Boy. AAA is mostly about budget - the rest is fluff. and Tetris had a low budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Sverro2 View Post
                    Why? Are you planning to fix bugs etc? There is no DRM in the bundle games... I just don't understand. (yes I know what Richard told us)
                    No, I don't plan to fix any bugs.
                    But money spent on proprietary software is wasted.
                    Why would I want to spend money on proprietary software and reward proprietary software developers when I can spend money on open source software that contributes back to the community and rewards the community.

I think that if I spend money on proprietary software, I don't get anything back. I could just as easily pirate that shit if I wanted it.
                    When contributing to open source software, I feel like if I am getting something back. Because the code is not owned by someone, its giving to the community and my donations help further development.

Comment

5 million $ is more than enough to pack a AAA game.
                      Way out. You're looking at least $25m, GTA 4 cost a $100m.

Comment

Working...
                      X