• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Most Open-Source Game Artwork Is Awful

Most Open-Source Game Artwork Is Awful

Phoronix: Most Open-Source Game Artwork Is Awful

Earlier this month when talking about the Baseio game that's being worked on by the ioquake3 project, many Phoronix readers were quick to bring up in the forums that the artwork done by the free software community for these open-source games often aren't up to par...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExODg

• bvanevery
    replied
    Ok, elephant standing in the room: why does quality of games on Linux have to be addressed by open source? With Desura already on Linux, and Valve supposedly bringing Steam this year, why can't people who want better quality Linux games just pay for them? Artists get paid, programmers get paid, people who make content get to eat, gamers get better stuff. Is there some fundamental reason why the production values of open source are supposed to aspire to and meet the level of polish of commercial offerings? How does that get funded, lots of trips to the food bank? Don't think I'm being glib here, I've done that for open source in the past, twice. I had to move on and pay bills. Might have been stoopid to do it the 2nd time but you know, you keep saying, "If only I did X Y Z instead of A B C..."

Leave a comment:

• wolas
    replied
    All I can say open your Eyes.

There is much pretier games than Nexuiz while this zero-k on spring engine is other category - RTS all game is really pretty. In fact I watched phoronix for few years already and I really thought there is no other games just FPS'es thanks god it was false "myst" created by phoronix, and I accidentally found about spring engine and mods on it like this. Why there was zero articles? And so many about xonotic nexuiz forking and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZaLLyhEgI

Does this looks like shit? Nexuiz is ok but definitly not best looking open source game.

And everybody is about 0.A.D wtf guys its just alpha for years is it playable? Why there is update about some minor updates about nexuiz, xonotic or whatever and no cover about other games at all? Thats why I thought "well sad as it is there is not much games on linux thats why there is so many news on phoronix with minor updates better this than nothing". And this is really sad phoronix nowhere live up with its "linux games" or how you it. Its just "chosen few" or soemthing.

Leave a comment:

• dashcloud
    replied
    Here's a story from Blendernation about the new texture collection available on http://opengameart.org: Huge free textures library

Leave a comment:

• rustybroomhandle
    replied
    That blender screenshot is ancient. The interface doesn't look anything like that any more. :/ Agreed, go look at modelling tutorials on CGCookie.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    The conclusion is very simple: most of the Open Source games are just hobbyist projects. 0ad which is not a hobbyist one is just beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Well, actually his rant about blender is exactly the same as some dude whom rants about how complicated C as a language is, and then wishes something like Python was available. Which would be a valid rant in the context of open-source 3D modelers. There are a bunch of smaller/obscure ones, that are all incomplete in some way, and then there is the big one, Blender. Blender is fabulous in many ways, it just has a way of doing it in a way that confuses many.

The same could be said of Gimp, except there are many alternatives that specialize in photo manipulation, or vector drawing, etc.

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    Compare it to blender.
    I fully agree with your comment about laking modding/editing capabilities in foss games. But your rant about blender seems to be out of place. You could also go on rant about how maya, modo, silo, sketchup etc are different from your preferred workflow.

Check cgcookie.com, blenderguru.com and blenderartists.org to see what is possible with blender if you are not afraid to learn how to use it and adapt your workflow.

Btw there is a maya keymap preset in blender afaik. And if you are following the blender development, why not posting a screenshot of the current interface instead of the 2.12 version?

Edit:
    Blender showreel from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...zE8jOO7_0&hd=1
    Last edited by log0; 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    I never even knew of mg^2

I never even knew of mg^2.
    It seems interesting. And I'll have a look at it when time allows...
    Which is unfortunately the problem for us coders too.
    I used to create 3D editing tools as a student. None of them really worked that great, and I could never get Blender to do anything useful either.

So, consider me interested DMJC. I just need to finish moving home, and then finish planning the wedding, and somehow find time to do it :P

Leave a comment:

• rogerdv
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Is there no tool to crowdsource artwork, like the Linux kernel?
    As mentiones, Opengameart. the problem with it is that it is a poor substitute for your own art team, because of the diversity of styles and quality. It is good for some test or initial work, no more. Also, you have no control over the modelling methods. for example, to test the scene editor Im building, I need single mesh, single material/texture models, because the engine is still at early stage and cant handle multimesh/multimaterial objects. Hard to find a model with such requirements. Do you need a man/woman pair of models, textured and animated? Not the place to search, and I dont remember an animated model in OGA with some minimum quality (any correction on this matter is welcome).
    Art is not like code. You can copy&paste code and fix it in 5 minutes. You cant download art and fix it in 5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X