Most Open-Source Game Artwork Is Awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    I think the approach in open source games needs to change to be more artists focused as they are the most rare resource.

From my own experience the problem with FOSS games is the art pipeline or actually the absence of one.

We've got enough 3d/game engines out there. What we need are robust and easy to use level/world editors supporting a standard set of file formats used/known by artists.
    Lime engine is trying to solve that. Currently Im working to develop a set of tools including a mesh converter and an scene editor. If somebody wants to help, is welcome to join the team.

Comment

The base is gimp, bug no beginner how to, simple how-to, but nothing to do a complete effect.
      And part of artists use photoshop -> expensive, then wish gain with the artwork...

No?
      Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
        The base is gimp, bug no beginner how to, simple how-to, but nothing to do a complete effect.
        And part of artists use photoshop -> expensive, then wish gain with the artwork...
        I don't think I understand what you're trying to say, but if it's something like "Gimp isn't good enough for quality art creation" then it isn't true. Most of what is needed to create game art is already in Gimp (especially in version 2.8). I created all the artwork for my mobile game Magic Defenders from scratch using nothing but Gimp, Inkscape, Blender and MyPaint. The only thing that gets a bit on the way of the creation process is the lack of a free transform tool in Gimp and the transform tools in general being very crappy (but they get the job done eventually).

Comment

No, gimp it's very great tool. But but how-to like:
          SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!! ......... Sorry, I know i did the second one first. If you have any questions or requests (GIMP or not), drop me a line at deathcab7...

in text, or beginner it very very rare. It have 10x more for photoshop.

More the most professional don't use gimp...
          Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Woah, Michael! Picking on FOSS game art like that isn't cool. Most of those contributors are hobbyists. Their work may not be up to your standards but I fail to see what the community gains by humiliating them on the front page of a major Linux news site.

Comment

lol, I'm really starting to love those pics!

Comment

Originally posted by sagetarian View Post
                There should be a Open Source / Creative Commons Art Dev community that aims at giving recognition to the artists and such by means easily visible credits etc etc. You could encourage 3D and texture graphic design students to take part in supporting the community and give them a HIG to stick to. They should supply the resources used if the resources are licensed accordingly. Example if they used Blender then supply the .blend not just the 3ds or collada versions etc etc. I'm aware that there are similar ideas floating around but there is no emphasis on credit and a standard, so people tend to design resources that can't be used in the same game.
                I think this is a great idea, it would be awesome to get more artists (in training) into the FOSS world. It would be a great experience for them as well, experiencing the feeling of a great community. But one issue I see immediately is that professional artists in training don't use either Blender or GIMP. It's Maya/3DS, Photoshop and other professional texturing software (can't seem to remember the name of it right now) all the way for them.

None the less, it's still a good idea, creating a coherent community which would be the apparent starting point for any artist wanting to get into the community.

Comment

Games are like 90% art, 10% game designing (which is also art).
                  Programmers don't create games, they create game engines.
                  Then there's a 0.0001% of glue code & game logic that even a monkey could do, which isn't even considered part of the formula.

If you want to be part of a game you better hang around Blender.org, deviant-art, newgrounds, etc. or whatever community that brings together more artists.
                  Be aware that a good game takes years of hard work, and it's doomed without a clear vision.
                  The classical community-driven development approach of "everybody working on whatever feels like and every feature gets accepted" doesn't work here.

Comment

wesnoth has some very fine artwork

vegastrike

both beautiful

Comment

0ad is a great game with great art, and it's SourceForge's project of the Month.
                      The interview is very interesting and it agrees with my previous post:
                      Unlike other Open Source projects, we actually have an idea of a completed game. And we have an idea of when we?re done. We do want to reach this state of completion and reach some closure, and not just keep this project developing endlessly. And we hope to reach that state in late 2013.

Comment

Working...
                      X