No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a photoshop. I was the one who sent it to phoronix. I was trolling phoronix, but didn't think phoronix would actually make an article out of it. Anyway it's fake, sorry guys for trolling you

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      It's a photoshop. I was the one who sent it to phoronix. I was trolling phoronix, but didn't think phoronix would actually make an article out of it. Anyway it's fake, sorry guys for trolling you
      That's a rather stupid thing to say, isn't it? I mean, there's no version of this claim which doesn't make you out to be a liar. If you really did make this up and sent it in, then you were deliberately trying to cause harm for your amusement. This makes you a dick. You're not clever, helpful, or particularly mature.

If you didn't make this up, then you're lying to us all now, and you're deliberately trying to cause harm for your amusement. This also makes you a dick. You're still not clever, helpful, or particularly mature.

No matter how you justify this, I, for one, can never believe another word you say. You have damaged your own integrity in an attempt to make Michael look bad. Go to your room.

Logic'd.

Comment

Hmm.. OK. That's pretty bad. Hopefully this will be a lesson learnt for Michael... though it's driving up further ad revenue for him, so he probably doesn't care. Geez, thanks AnonymousCoward

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
        I certainly hope you're right, but all my experience with software projects AND my common sense tell me otherwise. Namely, that the big distros will be subverted, receive an inflow of dummies and, ultimately, the corporations will steal the show, namely:
        - gaining control over the big infrastructural projects, such as desktop (Unity), browser (Chrome, WebKit), the Office suite (nevermind that it's temporarily divorced from the stupid Oracle, it'll be subverted again by someone smarter soon enough)), etc
        A little surprised you keep mentioning Ubuntu and Unity as your prime example. Debian is still going strong despite Ubuntu. GNOME is still going strong too, even though I personally avoid GNOME 3. Firefox may have lost a lot of share, but it's also still going strong and is the standard browser default on plenty of distros. You've already refuted your own claim regarding OO/Libre too.

- gaining control over distribution process ("Our distro is awesome with BluRay, proprietary codecs, flash and Steam! It has commercial backing and thus uber-fast security updates! Just compare this to your Debian, which hasn't even seen a release in what - a decade?")
        What? Debian still have a slow, steady and stable release process. What are you getting at here? It hasn't been influenced (at least in a large way) from what I can see? (disclaimer: I cut my teeth on Fedora Core/RedHat so I'm not intimately familiar with Debian)

- finally, marginalizing the idealistic community into small distro(s) - yeah, just like Gentoo - which doesn't have a choice but to continue using the subverted infrastructure (before it organizes itself enough to start replacing it with free alternatives). It's back to square one at that point.
        Got to disagree again. Ubuntu definitely did gain a large marketshare, and not necessarily by stealing them from other Linux distros. I also don't see that this had any significant detrimental effect on most other smaller distros.
        I know plenty of ex-Windows users whose first experience was Ubuntu and they stuck with it. I also know people who are now moving onto other Linux distros (especially since the introduction of Unity). This probably benefited other distros in turn as people became more familiar with GNU/Linux and wanted to see what distro X their neighbour used was like. IMHO, if anything it increased and diversified the general Linux userbase and bought in people that were willing to learn "a new way". This bought in valuable input from a wider range of people and improved things.

You keep saying that distros should be targetted at USERS, yet you seem to discount the potentially valuable diverse amount of expertise that can be gained from those with less of a technical skillset and focus then yourself (the ones you refer to as "dumb users" (or was that the other guy?)). You shouldn't immediately discount other people just because they have different or not as technical skillsets as yourself, or haven't had as much time and experience using something as you have. If you make something too difficult and inaccessible then you'll alienate a potential userbase from the get go, no matter how good the documentation is.

...Out of curiosity what was your first distro and what made you want to try it? I'm guessing you didn't just jump straight into something like Gentoo.

Comment

This thread went full retard very quickly.

Comment

...Linux used to be an OS designed with best interest of USERS in mind. If a corporation gets involved, it's not due to any kind of philanthropic intentions, but with a clear vision of exploiting the infrastructure for their gain. Sometimes...
            Wait, wait, wait, who are you to tell who's allowed to use linux? If a company wants to use linux (for whatever reason) the company IS a user! Valve wants to use linux (as a target), so Valve IS a user of linux...

Comment

I emailed Gabe asking of the email exchange quoted bungie Phorinux was authentic, he said "yes".

Comment

I'm a little weird... I actually think Android is an example of a Linux success story.

Comment

- gaining control over the big infrastructural projects, such as desktop (Unity), browser (Chrome, WebKit)
                  Yeah, I sure hope no company ever gets control of the chrome codebase... you know, the google chrome codebase. Ran by google. The company. That runs the chrome codebase.

And nobody's forcing you to install steam on Linux. There's already tons of proprietary closed source software for Linux, some even have (gasp) DRM! Tell me, are you required to install them along with Linux? And if a company does "subvert" an open source project (which is impossible) and you don't like the changes they're making? So fucking what? Fork it and either don't take anything from them or only put in the code you do like from them. That's how open source works. That's how it's always worked. There is literally no other way FOR it to work.

Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
                  I try to verify this @mail :

but when I put [email protected] .... :

Another FAKE from bullshit Phrononix
                  ... seriously? You think it's fake because a private company doesn't allow random ip's to ping their mail servers? Really?

Try googling the email address, lots of people contact gave at this address and receive replies.
                  Last edited by KameZero; 04 June 2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Didn't AnonymousCoward said it was fake (photoshopped) or something?
                    And you trust him why? Here, watch this.

This comment is a fake. I was the one who sent it to AnonymousCoward. I was trolling AnonymousCoward, but I didn't think he'd actually make a post out if it. Anyway it's fake, sorry guys for trolling you

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
                      So end of this year in Valve time means 2014 in real time.
                      Haha, reminded me about this one:

Comment

Working...
                      X