ioquake3 Developers Working On "baseio" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Doom Radiant's leak detection and dmap integration never made it into gtkRadiant.
    I'm using NetRadiant, and it had leak detection already in 2008 IIRC. Is that a different feature, or?

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
      Or are you (if I take your grammar literally) trying to say that because it's open sourced it's irrelevant???
      Don't be obtuse. Your game engine is only relevant to people looking to make a Quake II multi-player clone, any other type of game will require just as much, if not more, effort in your gpl Quake II engine as it would in the gpl Doom 3 engine.

Originally posted by curaga
      I'm using NetRadiant, and it had leak detection already in 2008 IIRC. Is that a different feature, or?
      DoomRadiant has access to dmap without leaving the editor, so yes it is a different feature.

Comment

Don't be obtuse. Your game engine is only relevant to people looking to make a Quake II multi-player clone, any other type of game will require just as much, if not more, effort in your gpl Quake II engine as it would in the gpl Doom 3 engine.
        There is a lot wrong with this statement.

First, our game is nothing like Quake II multiplayer other than it's got deathmatch mode. Seriously. It's far more like UT or Q3, and even then, there are loads of differences from those as well. Not to mention numerous game modes and mutators.

Second, the single player elements/code are still in place so it's not difficult to create a single player game from this. (you'll soon find this out in an announcement from COR in the not too distant future).

Have you looked at our code recently, or played the game recently? I am not sure what your are basing your statements on. It sounds like guesswork.

Comment

First, our game is nothing like Quake II multiplayer other than it's got deathmatch mode. Seriously. It's far more like UT or Q3, and even then, there are loads of differences from those as well. Not to mention numerous game modes and mutators.
          You run around and shoot people, exactly like Quake 2 multiplayer. Who cares if you've ripped off ideas and terminology from Unreal Tournament and shoe-horned them in to the engine, it's still the same game experience.

Second, the single player elements/code are still in place so it's not difficult to create a single player game from this. (you'll soon find this out in an announcement from COR in the not too distant future).
          Good for you, people can clone Quake 2 single player without much work. Of course for anything else, they have still have tons more work to create an original game. More work than if they had simply chosen the Doom 3 engine and modernized it's renderer.

I am not sure what your are basing your statements on. It sounds like guesswork.
          Whereas your statements make you sound like you've been mentally incapacitated by the your own awesomness.

Comment

Good for you, people can clone Quake 2 single player without much work. Of course for anything else, they have still have tons more work to create an original game. More work than if they had simply chosen the Doom 3 engine and modernized it's renderer.
            Actually in the not too distant future we will be merging a branch of our code that uses Lua scripting to easily create game code.

Whereas your statements make you sound like you've been mentally incapacitated by the your own awesomness.
            You seem to have a personal issue with me starting with this post
            Doom Radiant's leak detection and dmap integration never made it into gtkRadiant.

Irritant just wants us to believe that the newer engine is irrelevant when it is actually his choice of game engine that is irrelevant, made doubly so because of the access to source code which means you can add or remove any feature you want and or need for your hobbyist project.
            I don't know what I've done to you to deserve this kind of treatment. You seem to also have an issue with Icculus, maybe you think I am somehow connected to them? (I am not, other than they provide free hosting for our SVN repo). I don't know what provoked your statement. I'd rather not continue this rather childish flame war in public. If you have an issue with me personally, please send me a PM and we can settle it as adults in private.

Comment

Actually in the not too distant future we will be merging a branch of our code that uses Lua scripting to easily create game code.
              You don't base your choices on upstream's future development.

please send me a PM
              No. You are going to admit publicly that your game engine in it's current state would require more work than other, more modern, engines.

If you take issue with a colorful use of language when someone disagrees with you, than how do you survive on the internet?

Comment

If you take issue with a colorful use of language when someone disagrees with you, than how do you survive on the internet?
                He probably has a life out side the internet to help balance it.

Comment

I just got official confirmation that Nuclear Dawn will not be comming to Linux... Development on the game is ending and the team is being moved to new projects.

Comment

Working...
                  X