Humble Indie Bundle V Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I don't know how much good this will do, but I started a petition to protest the inclusion of a non-native game in a Humble Indie Bundle:

Please add your signature. It is worded in a very constructive way and it seemed like the most civil way to get our point across.
    That's just dumb. The game works perfectly fine if you meet system requirements, regardless of it being winelibbed. Protest, yes - it might help get more native support, but honestly, a petition is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      You know, there?s a thing called QA that commercial development houses use to make sure the biggest problems are fixed before they sell their games. Customers aren?t supposed to do the QA for free, no, sorry, they aren?t supposed to _pay_ to do the QA? I?ll whine if I want, and I would have liked to read somewhere _before_ I bought the bundle that the games don?t work, so I don?t think that this ?whining? is useless.
      They can't test EVERY system configuration in existence, surely. Linux setups vary from box to box a lot more than Windows/Mac does. Every game in HiB V works for me on a 64-Bit Dreamstudio distro. You speak as if they just don't work, period. So yes, if Linux users want commercial developers to make games for their platform, it's not unreasonable to jump in and help with what is bound to be a difficult task.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
        That's just dumb. The game works perfectly fine if you meet system requirements, regardless of it being winelibbed. Protest, yes - it might help get more native support, but honestly, a petition is just dumb.
        In my opinion, using winelib is very different (and better) than using wine.

I think in a perfect world winelib shouldn't be used, but as long as the game works well and you can't even notice it's using winelib, then why does it matter? If the issue is that it doesn't integrate well into your system, that should be the bug you complain about, not what the underlying lib is.

Comment

If not this, what do you suggest? Take to the streets? Incite armed military revolt? Flame Jeffery Rosen?

I wonder what you mean by protest...

This is the most civil and productive means at our disposal. It is certainly better than just a bunch of complaining on some random forum.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Ok, installed Limbo...
            Right on start it quit with the following error:

Video card is below minimum system requirement. You need a video card with at least Shader Model 3.0

Hooray! \o/

Radeon HD 4850 - libdrm+mesa from latest git.
            You should try enabling GL3, and see if that fixes it.

Make sure floating point is enabled, S3TC is installed, and set these environment variables:

R600_GLSL130=1
            R600_STREAMOUT=0

Comment

I try to run this game few times. Sound works only one time.
              Game also disable second display on exit even if game run in windowed mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                If not this, what do you suggest? Take to the streets? Incite armed military revolt? Flame Jeffery Rosen?

I wonder what you mean by protest...

This is the most civil and productive means at our disposal. It is certainly better than just a bunch of complaining on some random forum.
                Haha, those all sound like fun, but I was thinking more along the lines of just talking to the developers, rather than any sort of mass action. These aren't big corporations, they are small independent devs and tend to be a lot more approachable.

Work with rather than work against. Make the prospect of supporting Linux for games an attractive one to these people, rather than creating a hostile environment. I'd wager most of them are new to the technology, new to the culture and in general can probably use a bit of guidance from the community. And definitely some community help in dealing with some of the tech-support.

Anyway, here are hilights from the Reddit AMA, and the Limbo-Wine thing is discussed also: http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/06/h...ers-share.html

Comment

Psychonauts uses MojoShader which does not seems to work quite good.

Make Direct3D shaders work on OpenGL, Metal, and Vulkan

Comment

Work with rather than work against. Make the prospect of supporting Linux for games an attractive one to these people, rather than creating a hostile environment. I'd wager most of them are new to the technology, new to the culture and in general can probably use a bit of guidance from the community. And definitely some community help in dealing with some of the tech-support.
                    The thing is, I am not petitioning the developers - I am petitioning the Humble Bundle guys themselves. The Bundle is a showcase for cross-platform DRM-independent games. If you have a problem with one of your middlewares that prevents it being properly ported to Linux, it should not qualify for the showcase. Other developers have put a lot of effort into making sure there games ran natively on Linux - including ripping out such incompatible middlewares in favour of better supported cross-platform ones. I do not see why LIMBO got a free ride.

I decided on a petition as the most civil and constructive way to show discontent - I do not wish to be hostile to anyone. I perfectly understand some of the people who have signed it are really pissed, but you need to understand that to them this was a violation of trust. We trusted the bundle to ensure that Linux users got fair treatment, and this seems like a betrayal of that.

If you can think of other more "constructive" means, then great. But this so far seems to still be the best approach.

Comment

Had a bit of an orange surge last night - signatories jumped from 39 to 113, beating the assigned goal it gave it of 100 people in less than three days.

Comment

Working...
                      X