Wasteland 2 To Run On Unity Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The port happened a long time ago

I am a Linux game developer and I have been working with the Linux version of the player since version 3.3. The current version of the Linux player is 3.5 (there was no Linux version 3.4), which is on par with the other platforms. Sadly, the editor remains Windows or Mac only

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      we are lucky to get a linux port.
      People paid for it, how is that lucky?

and even luckier they putting pressure on unity to port to linux.
      That's a nice thought, but Unity Technologies isn't porting anything. This is inXile being allowed to port Wasteland 2 on their own. Unity Technologies wants $250,000.00 per year to support linux, and I doubt they are getting that from inXile.

Comment

Unity is a horrible engine. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
          I feel your pain, but if you pledged expecting anything from Wasteland 2 to be open-sourced, you should probably ask for your money back. I just looked at the Kickstarter page, and there's no mention of open-source anything.

The way the game was funded may or may not change how games are funded, but one thing's for sure: it definitely changed everything for Brian Fargo and his company- this game was never going to get made otherwise.

I saw a similar sentiment elsewhere that was annoyed Wasteland 2 didn't create or re-use an in-house engine. That's also silly- did you want a new open source game engine, or did you want Wasteland 2 for Linux? By using an existing high-quality engine, you can squeeze a lot more out of your budget then if you need to create your own engine.

I know the dont promise anything opensource,but they get 3 MILLION.230% more money and they never release nothing using opensource is bad.

Its better to use the extra 200% to fund projetcts like overdose which are much more opensource friendly.Using opensource license does not even need to expect the developer release a "linux port" because opensource is more portable .

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Where is the promise for Linux support? Not mentioned on the ModDB page...
            It's mentioned in many places like kickstarter. Too bad they didn't choose Unigine.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
              I know the dont promise anything opensource,but they get 3 MILLION.230% more money and they never release nothing using opensource is bad.

Its better to use the extra 200% to fund projetcts like overdose which are much more opensource friendly.Using opensource license does not even need to expect the developer release a "linux port" because opensource is more portable .
              They probably don't want to see Wasteland 2 messed up by some hobbyists or to be better than Wasteland 3.

Comment

What happened to the seething hatred for Mono shown elsewhere on the Phoronix forums?

That's what Unity3D is. An IDE and a 3D engine out front, and Mono in the back-end. I thought there was an eternal quest on forums like this to banish all trace of Mono from Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Sad to hear they chose a proprietary engine.
                  I'd rather see them choose a open source engine.
                  What open source engine? Cube lacks a editor. Cube with LUA lacks a editor. It only has nice map building tools.
                  FPS engines lack editors.
                  Etc.
                  Which engine?

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
                    What open source engine? Cube lacks a editor. Cube with LUA lacks a editor. It only has nice map building tools.
                    FPS engines lack editors.
                    Etc.
                    Which engine?
                    I think idTech (Doom, Quake) comes with a editor.
                    GtkRadiant: The open source, cross platform level editor for id Tech games.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                      we are lucky to get a linux port.

and even luckier they putting pressure on unity to port to linux.
                      "Lucky" is wrong word here. More correct word is "satisfied". Obviously 3 Mio is just enough to get opensource; but people should have understood it when they read the text, proprietary means burden of supporting incoming updates lies totally on creators. They can produce versions, but if they don't maintain it - and its proprietary, these ports are lost. The result is not bad, but is not superb either. We just get one good game, nothing more or less.

Comment

Working...
                      X