No announcement yet.

EA Talks About Gaming At UDS: It's Boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They may suck, they may use Wine, they may not care (or even know) about other Linux distros than Ubuntu, but still they are going to port games to Linux. Seriously, few months or years ago we'd take 14 games from any big publisher as a success for Linux desktop. (A lame emulated success, but still, it's a sign of hope). I know Valve is much better than that, both in their attitude and in the way they're going to achieve the Linux goal, but it's still something. I'm surprised everyone here is that negative. For me, they don't deserve to be greeted with applause there, but nor they deserve to be mocked for starting to port stuff to Linux. Also, didn't the guy say that they are moving away from Wine towards native ports? Because that's what OMG Ubuntu reports, but Michael wrote they didn't tell anything about native plans.

Comment

Originally posted by sado1 View Post
      They may suck, they may use Wine, they may not care (or even know) about other Linux distros than Ubuntu, but still they are going to port games to Linux. Seriously, few months or years ago we'd take 14 games from any big publisher as a success for Linux desktop. (A lame emulated success, but still, it's a sign of hope). I know Valve is much better than that, both in their attitude and in the way they're going to achieve the Linux goal, but it's still something. I'm surprised everyone here is that negative. For me, they don't deserve to be greeted with applause there, but nor they deserve to be mocked for starting to port stuff to Linux. Also, didn't the guy say that they are moving away from Wine towards native ports? Because that's what OMG Ubuntu reports, but Michael wrote they didn't tell anything about native plans.
      Fact [if they'll porting their game to linux] please? It's from your logic, your opinion. As for my opinion:

Originally posted by OMG ubuntu
      During a Q&A with Hilleman, he revealed some interesting information: -
      • EA have built 14 different products for WINE but are moving away from it
      • They are seeking to create a set of ?configuration sets? with Canonical on hardware they will support
      • They are most excited about HTML5 and WebGL ? which boasts the widest reach
      • Hilleman expects China to pick an OS ?not made by Microsoft?
      • The company will ?showing off? a browser-based game with Playstation 2 grade graphics at Google I/O
      • They will be judging the ?success? of the Ubuntu titles on user rather than ?financial? metrics
      Well, from information above, I think they still make some game exclusive for windows and won't porting that game to linux. But they will make games that can be played across OS: web based game.

And if you think it's OK for playing with WINE, we don't need them to state that. Already knew that that there's bunch of windows games that can be played with WINE, plenty of good windows game among them. Time will tell who's right . Oh, and porting game is not something that easy to accomplish, dear watson! Not for one that design their stuff to just run in one platform.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
        Activision isn't bad company, beacause they had problems with Loki Software:
        Activision locked employees in a room, reducing them to tears over a period of several hours, all because their bosses were leaving the company. They are a bad company.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Activision locked employees in a room, reducing them to tears over a period of several hours, all because their bosses were leaving the company. They are a bad company.
          Link? My google-fu is weak today.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Interesting story

There are 5 official linux games from Loki/Activision:

- Heavy Gear II
            - Heretic II
            - Quake III Arena
            - Civilization: Call to Power
            - Soldier of Fortune

Activision is better than EA

There is 1 official "Linux game" from EA:

Sims (Winex)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Link? My google-fu is weak today.

Comment

Interesting story
                Not a story, it's a fact.

- Heavy Gear II
                - Heretic II
                - Quake III Arena
                - Civilization: Call to Power
                - Soldier of Fortune

Activision is better than EA

Sims (Winex)
                Activision and EA are would sell your kidneys on the black market if they could get away with it.

Comment

Interesting story

Actually Activision's only involvement was signing a deal with Loki to produce those AAA titles. Loki spent quite a bit of money to have the privilege of doing those ports- and they weren't published by Activision...they were published by Loki.

Comment

Sims (Winex)
                    wasnft Medal Of Honor Allied Assault EA published?
                    i think it had linux port also

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                      wasnft Medal Of Honor Allied Assault EA published?
                      i think it had linux port also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_o...Allied_Assault
                      This is one of the typical cases where icculus actually was paid to port the server to Linux,
                      but decided to port the client as well in his spare time, free of charge. The client is labeled 'beta',
                      as it, IIRC, says in the README that it still has lots of issues.

The MoH client used the Miles Sound System, so he was required to remove it in favour for OpenAL
                      to avoid licencing issues. Maybe that's where some of the "unusual" problems are coming from,
                      assuming that he didn't what to invest too much time on the client.

So surely EA was not actively pushing for a Linux client in this case. It's more like EA didn't prevent Icculus
                      from porting and releasing one.

Comment

Working...
                      X