Blizzard's Diablo III On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard's Diablo III On Linux?

Phoronix: Blizzard's Diablo III On Linux?

In a recent gaming interview, Blizzard's director of the forthcoming Diablo III game was asked about a Linux client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That linux port would have the only reason for me to buy it despite that stupid Battle.Net-enforced no-offline-gaming rule.

Comment

So it?s like, well if we had the choice between getting PvP out earlier, or doing a Linux version, well PvP comes out earlier.
      That?s always what kind of ends up happening. Whenever anybody ever asks us ?well why didn?t you do this thing??,
      it?s, like, ?well because we did this other awesome thing that we thought was more important?.
      Well, I guess this guy was simply not the right one to ask for a Linux client (as he says himself).
      What he says sounds like a manpower/prioritizing thing only, which is obviously not the most problematic thing.
      If they have/had a WoW Linux client and don't release it, then this clearly hints a strategic business decision.
      Most probably they simply don't care or see a benefit in providing a Linux client.
      Heck, they don't even release on consoles anymore.
      And this is where you could really make some additional money.

Nevertheless, I'd really welcome a Diablo 3 Linux client.
      And I have to admit that I don't really care about the Battle.Net issues.

Comment

One of the most overrated companies out there. I'd might buy Diablo 3, but I doubt it.

Comment

It doesn't matter if Blizzard makes a Linux native client or not. I don't buy games that require a connection to play single player. Look how well that went for Starcraft2: people banned from playing single player campaign.
          Not to mention, beta players report single player is rather boring. But that may be strictly because of the scope of the beta.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Starcraft2: people banned from playing single player campaign.
            really nice too see how blizzard cares about their users. I hope the hack comes out soon.

Comment

So where do we go to voice our demand for a native client?

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                really nice too see how blizzard cares about their users. I hope the hack comes out soon.
                Because anonymous anecdotal comments on the internet should always be taken as gospel.

Comment

Blizzard looses more than i do.

I don't loose money, they do.
                  FU Blizzard.
                  Market is there. You can't make up your mind - you don't get a cent from me.
                  Other Linux guys - don't support them. Just because it works under wine - doesn't mean it's right.
                  Wine sucks. Proven over and over again. Thanks devs for doing wine, but its work around, its not a solution.

Comment

Damn, that headline made my heart skip a beat!

I still have love for Blizzard, mostly because of fond memories. Sure the no-LAN thing is a bummer, but I don't take it personally. In fact I'm setting up a hackintosh just for D3, so a native Linux client would mean a lot to me. If Blizzard and Valve were the only AAA game companies making games for Linux, I wouldn't ask for more (quality > quantity)

What I don't get is the "if there is demand" position. Sure Linux desktop/gamers is a minority, but it's not like we are only 5 guys in a basement anymore. Take the Adobe CS for Linux poll as an example. I didn't vote (generally don't at these sort of things) and through my work with VFX and design companies I know that practically all of them would love the option to choose a Linux version, that's a lot of votes not counted. Still there are almost 13.000 votes. There are certainly that amount licenses that Adobe could sell to small/medium/large VFX houses around the world, and even if all only bought the "cheap" CS Design at ~$2000 that is $26 million! Don't tell me it would cost Adobe that much!

Ok, so games don't cost $2000 but someone mentioned a good idea: Let Blizzard calculate how much it would cost X developers to port their engine to Linux, and start a Kickstarter project at that amount. I'm sure the demand is there!

@Michael
                    So... you have a lot of contacts in the industry, can't you set something up? Like a meeting with Blizzard and Gabe Newell? Or maybe get invited to Blizzards office?

Comment

Working...
                    X