Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think that EA is going to release anything on Linux Phoronix does it again... speculations...

Comment

I would like to see Blizzard instead of EA on this Ubuntu Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        I would like to see Blizzard instead of EA on this Ubuntu Summit.
        Yeah, for their awesome catalog of... five games? lol.

Comment

Never seeing my money

EA is probably the worst thing to happen to gaming, they'll never see a Zimbabwe dollar from me.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
            Actually yes, thats something that we really need, we need games that sell the most, and sport games are among them.
            If we need sports games we don't need EA's, we need the ones that used to be fun to play like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz not the canned reskin games that EA has been selling for a decade.

Even their non sports games are terrible. Army Of Two had so much potential yet failed miserably.

Comment

EA on Linux... I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing :\ I'm going to avoid anything related to them as much as I can. Mostly for their draconian DRM, incomplete games, fake DLCs, reported customer service and working conditions.

It's amazing how long EA runs for... Hawkins' other company, 3DO, went belly up a while ago when they started rushing for gold. Of course, EA had the upper hand of being able to buy out other companies, which definitely helps. But even then, I doubt they will be able to continue like this for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                EA on Linux... I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing :\ I'm going to avoid anything related to them as much as I can. Mostly for their draconian DRM, incomplete games, fake DLCs, reported customer service and working conditions.

It's amazing how long EA runs for... Hawkins' other company, 3DO, went belly up a while ago when they started rushing for gold. Of course, EA had the upper hand of being able to buy out other companies, which definitely helps. But even then, I doubt they will be able to continue like this for that long.
                I think it will come down to how they choose to approach Linux. If EA intends to do a "business as usual" model, I'm not sure they're going to do particularly well. Granted, there will be some incentive to purchase their games if they are quality titles, but for my money ... well, I've maintained my boycott of their products ever since the Spore rootkit nightmare.

What EA has got to do if they want to be effective in the Linux space is try to earn the trust of the community (I would suggest they begin by giving up on this draconian DRM thing they've got going on), and If they can't do that, I believe it's likely they'll fail.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

EA survives by their complete ownership of licensing rights to all major sports leagues, at least in the US, NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA, NCAA are all only licensed to them to force out all other companies from making sports games with actual teams and players, which is what most people want, not completely made up teams and players. They then release these games yearly on every platform at $50-70 per platform per year, online play is killed every year as well. You liked playing Madden 2011 online? Too bad, Madden 2012 is out and 2011 can no longer connect to the server...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    I dont think that EA is going to release anything on Linux Phoronix does it again... speculations...
                    This post reminds me some discussion about steam coming to Linux. So, if it's again the same situation then there's something good coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      EA survives by their complete ownership of licensing rights to all major sports leagues, at least in the US, NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA, NCAA are all only licensed to them to force out all other companies from making sports games with actual teams and players, which is what most people want, not completely made up teams and players. They then release these games yearly on every platform at $50-70 per platform per year, online play is killed every year as well. You liked playing Madden 2011 online? Too bad, Madden 2012 is out and 2011 can no longer connect to the server...
                      DRM and Online Games that stop working every year!!!!! Yahhhh if they come at us like this they will not only fail but, make major headlines and ruin there name. I can see RMS with one of his yearly speeches on the evils of EA. Maybe we should send someone to prep EA before thay decide to make anything for us.

Comment

Working...
                      X