Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larian View Post
    I think it's reasonable to assume that if EA and Canonical have inked a deal, it involves EA making games available for Ubuntu. EA is a games publisher, Canonical is an OS vendor. Now it is possible that EA has decided to go into the fast food and catering market and intends to supply Mark Shuttleworth's bunch with baloney sandwiches for lunch for the next year, but that's rather far-fetched.

The only conclusion that makes sense is that EA is bringing games to Ubuntu.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's the case - but it's still too early to get excited. Also, I can't find anything to show that EA and Canonical have actually made a deal. All I can see is that EA are attending some ubuntu summit (and even then, only talking for 15 minutes).
    I know how phoronix likes to make mountains out of molehills, so I was just pointing out that this news is just a molehill.

Comment

I'm sure they are going to announce some games, even if they are going to be there just for 15 minutes, why Iin hell would they appear otherwise?

Comment

Stay calm & watch what happens

Valve ... EA ... This sounds like madness ... but who knows.

I'm saying: If it's true, it is really a good news, but We have to wait.

P.S. Playing Battlefield 3 on Ubuntu would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          YES, finally an anuall release of <random sports game>. Just what the linux desktop was missing.
          Your hopes are way too high. I forsee The Sims XXIIV, Ubuntu Edition.

Comment

I hope it's not limited to the Ubuntu Software Center. I also hope they don't try to compete with Steam too much... because that's the last thing we need, more fragmentation.

Oh well. If you bring us Mass Effect, EA, I will forgive you.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
              I'm sure they are going to announce some games, even if they are going to be there just for 15 minutes, why Iin hell would they appear otherwise?
              There is the possibility that Canonical is paying one of their representatives to do a presentation on something of Canonical's choosing (the viability of Ubuntu as a gaming platform?).

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                I hope it's not limited to the Ubuntu Software Center. I also hope they don't try to compete with Steam too much... because that's the last thing we need, more fragmentation.

Oh well. If you bring us Mass Effect, EA, I will forgive you.
                Slow down there tiger. Steam for linux won't exist until Valve says its so, no sense in comparing one potential vaporware to another. You're just setting yourself up for major disappointment by doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                  There is the possibility that Canonical is paying one of their representatives to do a presentation on something of Canonical's choosing (the viability of Ubuntu as a gaming platform?).
                  "Ea: Ubuntu is quite a viable platform for gaming, but, uhh umm, we won't be releasing anything for it, we are just saying"

ummm

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                    Slow down there tiger. Steam for linux won't exist until Valve says its so, no sense in comparing one potential vaporware to another. You're just setting yourself up for major disappointment by doing so.
                    LOL I'm comparing "what if" to "what if" . . . I don't see a problem here. You sound like you would have never believed in the airplane or the personal computer until you saw it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                      "Ea: Ubuntu is quite a viable platform for gaming, but, uhh umm, we won't be releasing anything for it, we are just saying"

ummm
                      With marketing speeches, I've often seen simple statements like that stretch on for longer than 15 minutes. And damn does it get boring when they do.
                      Last edited by mirv; 03 May 2012, 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling...

Comment

Working...
                      X