No announcement yet.

Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if they don't actively support Linux, it'd be a huge step up to add a download area for enthusiasts where you can get Linux binaries for games that have them, and set up some community forums to help people share Linux packaging/installers. Then if that's popular, they have their justification for making it more official. The idea of pushing Linux support is primarily convenience at having a simple installer (that's 90% of what GOG is for Windows users as well), but they still have access to developers to get Linux builds that wouldn't otherwise be legitimately available to people that have bought the game.

They already have some popular GOGmixes for Linux support, it'd be fairly easy for them to set up a semi-official forum for unofficial packaging of the games they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
      Even if they don't actively support Linux, it'd be a huge step up to add a download area for enthusiasts where you can get Linux binaries for games that have them, and set up some community forums to help people share Linux packaging/installers. Then if that's popular, they have their justification for making it more official. The idea of pushing Linux support is primarily convenience at having a simple installer (that's 90% of what GOG is for Windows users as well), but they still have access to developers to get Linux builds that wouldn't otherwise be legitimately available to people that have bought the game.

They already have some popular GOGmixes for Linux support, it'd be fairly easy for them to set up a semi-official forum for unofficial packaging of the games they sell.
      Then go ahead and suggest that to them. I am a big fan of Linux and FOSS but am admittedly too much of a novice to do any real arguing unfortunately.

Comment

I have seen a massive increase in the number of clicks on the link leading to the request this thread is all about coming from Phoronix, and yet those clicks are not translating into votes. What's up with that? Please vote too!

Comment

It requires registration. That's what stopped me.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            It requires registration. That's what stopped me.
            It takes about a minute to register and GOG's policies totally fall in line with those of the Linux community. This is an opportunity where Linux users do not have to wave wads of cash around to get attention. They just have to show how plentiful they are!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
              It takes about a minute to register and GOG's policies totally fall in line with those of the Linux community. This is an opportunity where Linux users do not have to wave wads of cash around to get attention. They just have to show how plentiful they are!
              no thanks....i really don't want one more damn account that i have to remember a username and password for. hell i couldn't even be arsed enough to sign up for 7 free games from gog.

if i have to be coerced into giving them info to which they can spam me with marketing fluff...i'd rather not deal with them. the "register for a free account to perform $ACTION" has gotten out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
                no thanks....i really don't want one more damn account that i have to remember a username and password for. hell i couldn't even be arsed enough to sign up for 7 free games from gog.

if i have to be coerced into giving them info to which they can spam me with marketing fluff...i'd rather not deal with them. the "register for a free account to perform $ACTION" has gotten out of control.
                Remembering a username and password is hard? If it is for you, try LastPass, or use more memorable passwords and usernames. In addition to that, they aren't gonna spam you with marketing stuff. I get one email per week from them. In addition to that, you can turn all that off with great ease. I myself don't bother as it's just one email per week. Do you have any legitimate complaints?

Comment

Registering alone is not enough

After I clicked the vote button, it asked me to register. After registering, it took me to their main page, but my vote had not been counted. You need to go back to the vote page and click the vote button one more time to actually vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger73 View Post
                    After I clicked the vote button, it asked me to register. After registering, it took me to their main page, but my vote had not been counted. You need to go back to the vote page and click the vote button one more time to actually vote!
                    I clicked the button to reply to this thread, then was told I had to log in, then when I logged in I was thrown back to the main Phoronix Forums page!

Anyway, OpenID was a nice idea to solve the problem of many individual accounts with central authentication, unfortunately these days most people that implement it put an artificial limit on providers (eg "Log in with Google/Facebook" and no other option)

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                      I clicked the button to reply to this thread, then was told I had to log in, then when I logged in I was thrown back to the main Phoronix Forums page!

Anyway, OpenID was a nice idea to solve the problem of many individual accounts with central authentication, unfortunately these days most people that implement it put an artificial limit on providers (eg "Log in with Google/Facebook" and no other option)

You're absolutely correct. Anyway, I wasn't trying to make a statement, just let everyone that wants to vote know how to get their vote counted

Comment

Working...
                      X