Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boland View Post
    What does that have to do with GOG?
    Have you read all the messages in that link?

Comment

• He is talking about this http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...ll_of/cbk0mbt:

I've spoken in person at length about this with them. I can say no more!

This was his response to:

Would you kindly elaborate upon this? I am trying to bring GOG to support Linux as well so I find this particular excerpt to be very interesting.
      Not too bad.

Comment

• Ahh. Got it! Someone I missed the context of that at 3am

Comment

• What I find even more intriguing is that this developer says that developing for Linux is easier than developing for Mac OS and continues to explain why that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
            What I find even more intriguing is that this developer says that developing for Linux is easier than developing for Mac OS and continues to explain why that is.
            Indeed. Although his reasons wouldn't apply to all developers universally.
            He finds Linux more similar to Windows, and has no experience with xcode. The OpenGL comment is valid, although only with proprietary drivers. So it doesn't sound like his port is going to work with MESA, which is a little worrying.

Comment

• I thought that was universally known? On linux you have great tools and great amount of choice, on Mac you're stuck with XCode & other Apple tools for signing, icons, and so on.

/me also dislikes developing on/for Macs.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I thought that was universally known? On linux you have great tools and great amount of choice, on Mac you're stuck with XCode & other Apple tools for signing, icons, and so on.

/me also dislikes developing on/for Macs.
                You wouldn't believe how many posts I have read that state that developing for Mac OS is easier simply because of how there is no fragmentation and because Mac OS runs on a few select hardware configurations. It made sense to me, so reading this from a developer is definitely news for me and a very welcome development. Even opponents of the request this very thread is about like to harp on about how Mac OS is so easy to develop for when compared with Linux, hence why GOG shouldn't bother.

Comment

• Here's a short piece on the subject by Gaming On Linux.

Comment

• Fragmentation is a different point, that's indeed much lower on Macs. That's a separate issue from the development experience though.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Fragmentation is a different point, that's indeed much lower on Macs. That's a separate issue from the development experience though.
                      The fragmentation issue is what GOG are basing their Linux support problems off. Bringing their range of games to OSX wasn't an issue for them, because they simply hired an experienced mac developer to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X