id's Rage Linux Port Not Actively Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    dude, Santa Clause doesn't exist, it's folklore for kids... EA is so glued to Redmond that they won't even think of doing something nice to linux.
    Ea also releases games for Android. I'm not expecting AAA games, just casual games, probably from popcap (plants vs zombies, zuma, etc etc), the humble edition has proved that there is a market for casual games on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      From a performance perspective wine is not much slower than native when the game uses opengl. Also with a little trick you can use xbox gamepads as well. You can even share installs, then you only need

winetricks xact_jun2010 directx9

If you have got xbox (360) pads look there:

wine works nearly perfect with nvidia cards, even old ones like 8800 gts 512 (you need to disable AA, but thats not critical on full hd). The problem is as usual fglrx. At least with hd 5670 you can not play correctly. Amd should really test whats going wrong there, the game is not that expensive anymore, less than Oilrush
      Well, you won't have CUDA acceleration ... that's a BIG hit in performance.
      and the git repo with a dll that claims providing proper acceleration seems like a half-baked solution. a "solution" that always crashed for me

Comment

It just seems odd for id to always release their game engines as open source, but not support an open source platform. A fair amount of the work done on their released game code is developed on Linux with Windows/Mac support added later, not the other way around. Hopefully Valve will lobby id and get Linux support for Rage/Doom 4. I also heard the editor or DLC might have been coming this April for Rage, but "when its done" is driving me nuts.

Comment

@xpander

I completed it as well, but did not try any changes with amdcccle. I just changed the card Did you use the trick to use a pad as well? I don't think the game is fun without.
          nope i didnt use pad. im born with keyboard and mouse. and i quite dislike gamepads. even in racing games.

Comment

Originally posted by tbelvin View Post
            It just seems odd for id to always release their game engines as open source, but not support an open source platform. A fair amount of the work done on their released game code is developed on Linux with Windows/Mac support added later, not the other way around. Hopefully Valve will lobby id and get Linux support for Rage/Doom 4. I also heard the editor or DLC might have been coming this April for Rage, but "when its done" is driving me nuts.
            As far as I understand it's not that id is opposed to a Linux port, so lobbying will probably not help a lot. If someone at id was willing to spend their spare time on porting the game, they would probably release it inofficially. I think that both Valve and id have similar policies with regard to Linux except that Valve currently has developers that care about Linux.

Comment

Steam viewed from Finland yields these results:

Comment

Well it seems you need to be stupid to buy the game on steam then

@vertexSymphony

For CUDA look there:

Comment

No supply, no demand

Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    id always said that any linux port would be unofficial. All linux builds of all id software games have been unofficial - and were only done because someone did it on their own, not for any publishing or marketing ideals. They never, ever, said anything different of Rage; for Rage it was always "if circumstances permit". So I think you were misinformed about that situation.
                    That's NOT quite correct- so you are at least misinformed on parts of this. Quake3:Arena was an official build for Linux, supported by Loki games. When there was a slight 3-week delay in getting it into our hands, people bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it to run on Linux. The reason we didn't see any more from Id officially was that the Linux SKU only sold 200 total units because of the aforementioned conduct- we COULDN'T WAIT. Before you comment, I was a beta tester and ISV (as in outside driver developer- at the time, one of the maintainers for Utah-GLX...) for Loki games at the time.

As for Rage... If TTimo's no longer working for them, it may be a bit...since, like you said, most of the versions've been unofficial, as much to ensure it ran right on multiple platforms. The reasoning they had was that if they expended an extra 10% of effort on things and could make a Linux version that worked you would be sure that the code was pretty robust, running on 3 different OS platforms and running well.

Comment

@vertexSymphony

For CUDA look there:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167516
                      that was the "solution that always crashed for me" :c
                      If I have some free time, I'll try to debug it, but I already finished the game ... twice x'3

Comment

Working...
                      X