Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id's Rage Linux Port Not Actively Pursued

Phoronix: id's Rage Linux Port Not Actively Pursued

While there's been great Valve Linux news this week, over at the once very Linux-friendly id Software, Tux isn't so well represented these days at the Texas game studio...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From a performance perspective wine is not much slower than native when the game uses opengl. Also with a little trick you can use xbox gamepads as well. You can even share installs, then you only need

winetricks xact_jun2010 directx9

If you have got xbox (360) pads look there:

wine works nearly perfect with nvidia cards, even old ones like 8800 gts 512 (you need to disable AA, but thats not critical on full hd). The problem is as usual fglrx. At least with hd 5670 you can not play correctly. Amd should really test whats going wrong there, the game is not that expensive anymore, less than Oilrush

Comment

I've not heard anything about canonical making any approaches to game companies? I wonder who this 'major game publisher' is? Bethesda?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
        I've not heard anything about canonical making any approaches to game companies? I wonder who this 'major game publisher' is? Bethesda?
        It's not been announced yet... Beyond the sentence I posted in the article and a few other bits, I don't know much else, aside from the fact that the legal agreement has been signed.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Probably Ea, and they will bring casual games like plants vs zombies, and such.

Comment

At one point, ID software were the pinnacle for PC gaming. That was a long time ago, probably about 2005ish. ID software has long put console systems above PC, and this includes Linux. Simply put, ID software goes where they believe they can make the most money.

Valve has different reasons for moving towards Linux then ID.

#1 Possibly Steam console.
            #2 Possibly huge abandonment of Windows users, due to Windows 8.
            #3 Most likely, not wanting to give Microsoft or Sony 30% of their profits for games sold in Windows or Sony's app store. While game sales on PC are much lower then console, they do make near 100% profit. As opposed to console's where they're lucky to make half that much.

I don't think ID sees themselves as leaders of anything in the gaming industry. They're no different then everyone else. Even their famous game engines are nothing special anymore. The company to look out for is EA. Chances are their Origins service is created as a reaction to the new game consoles as well. They're just more careful about, but we could see a linux Origin in the future as well. Probably depending on the success of Valve's Steam on Linux. Another one to look out for is Blizzard, who has traditionally always made a Mac version for nearly all their games. I find it inconceivable there isn't a Linux version of any of their games yet.

What Valve did was create a bridge that Linux has needed for a long time to bring developers over. We don't need ID's Rage game. Trust me, I've played it and it stinks. Should be thanking them really.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              ...the game is not that expensive anymore, less than Oilrush
              I'm pretty sure the following is a correct comparison: 49.99? > 15.99?

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                Probably Ea, and they will bring casual games like plants vs zombies, and such.
                EA, that's what I was thinking. Perhaps there's a Linux port of Sims 3 in the making.

Comment

@meklu

When you compare german retail:

vs

I dont get what is 49.99? now?!

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

At 53:06 Jono Bacon, Ubuntu community manager, says he knows that Canonical has been in touch with Valve to ensure that the client is well supported in Ubuntu.
                    So I think these "other #Linux #gaming news from a big publisher" are about Valve, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X