id's Rage Linux Port Not Actively Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Svartalf

Q3 is now also known as QuakeLive and a am sure ID has got detailed statistics how many Linux users play it. Why should they rely on years old retail sales?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      That's NOT quite correct- so you are at least misinformed on parts of this. Quake3:Arena was an official build for Linux, supported by Loki games. When there was a slight 3-week delay in getting it into our hands, people bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it to run on Linux. The reason we didn't see any more from Id officially was that the Linux SKU only sold 200 total units because of the aforementioned conduct- we COULDN'T WAIT. Before you comment, I was a beta tester and ISV (as in outside driver developer- at the time, one of the maintainers for Utah-GLX...) for Loki games at the time.

As for Rage... If TTimo's no longer working for them, it may be a bit...since, like you said, most of the versions've been unofficial, as much to ensure it ran right on multiple platforms. The reasoning they had was that if they expended an extra 10% of effort on things and could make a Linux version that worked you would be sure that the code was pretty robust, running on 3 different OS platforms and running well.
      Pity about that happening with Q3:A. I do remember more of that - I was a bit late jumping into linux and missed that whole thing. As for Rage - well, I just wanted to say that they've never said they'd release and support an official client, mostly just that a client would happen if it happened (which it most probably won't now).
      I can correct myself some more - id did make an official linux Quake Live client too.
      Still, if people are going to buy a game for linux when there's no released linux client....well that's kind of silly. If people would just pause and think about what they're actually buying...but oh well.

Comment

The best way as always: buy 1 game, play it on any plattform. UT2k4 was even shipped with a Linux installer. Ok, you can add that installer later via download as well, thats not the problem, but i dont see a point to buy a Linux only game, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          The best way as always: buy 1 game, play it on any plattform. UT2k4 was even shipped with a Linux installer. Ok, you can add that installer later via download as well, thats not the problem,
          Linux users should not support only Windows game development.

but i dont see a point to buy a Linux only game, do you?
          Mac users always bought id games only for Mac and now they can play in Rage on Mac OS X.

I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody. It doesn't generate revenue.
          -- Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux

I don 't know who exactly made Mac port of Rage:

Here are interesting informations:

"Why is there no multiplayer or support for SteamWorks and SteamPlay?

Because of the business model and licensing requirements of SteamPlay and SteamWorks, Aspyr is unable to support either for RAGE Mac at this time. A Steam account and the Steam client are required for multiplayer, and Apple’s Mac App Store does not allow for technology such as SteamWorks in their store.

Does RAGE: Campaign Edition Mac use DRM (Digital Rights Management)?

Yes. If purchased through the Mac App Store, RAGE: Campaign Edition uses Apple’s AppStore DRM. If purchased elsewhere, such as the GameAgent Store, the game uses Software Passport Mac.

I already purchased RAGE for Windows. Can I use my CD key to get RAGE: Campaign Edition Mac for free?

A CD key for the Windows version of RAGE will not work with RAGE: Campaign Edition on Mac. The games are technically two different products with two different publishers (Bethesda Softworks and Aspyr Media, respectively)."

Me: Who exactly made Mac port of Rage? Timothee Besset was involved with this Mac port of Rage?

Aspyr: Aspyr Media ported RAGE to the Mac. Other than that, though, I can't comment who from id may have worked on the title before we took over.

I think we need Linux publisher for Linux version of Rage (without multiplayer), which use DRM or or something similar.
          Last edited by gbudny; 05 May 2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

The mac port was done by Aspyr not by ID itself. Therefore you can not simply use your steam account on a mac and play it. That's a very bad example somehow... It would have been much better when ID itself had done the port so that steam users could play it on Win+Mac. Of course you could try wine there as well
            Last edited by Kano; 05 May 2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Therefore you can not simply use your steam account on a mac and play it.
              I know about this, because I often use Mac OS X.

That's a very bad example somehow...
              Why?

It would have been much better when ID itself had done the port so that steam users could play it on Win+Mac. )
              Do you really believe in this? Linux users not exist for id software, because they always wanted support only Windows game development instead Linux game development.

Of course you could try wine there as well
              Frankly, It Makes No Sense...

If someone want play in games for Windows, it should use only Windows, because it is much better than Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                id did make an official linux Quake Live client too.
                The Mac client had 20% more users.

Comment

..and it was said in these forums many times that the linux Live client was really buggy compared to the other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    ..and it was said in these forums many times that the linux Live client was really buggy compared to the other platforms.
                    Other platforms?
                    Do you think about Quake live beta for Mac OS X?

Comment

@gbudny

You can run Rage fine with wine because OpenGL is used, you have got basically no performance penalty. At least using nvidia it works pretty well. Wine works on mac as well, you can even buy crossover for mac for ui users. So this might work as well there...
                      Last edited by Kano; 05 May 2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X