No announcement yet.

id's Rage Linux Port Not Actively Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe id didn't make as much on Rage as they were hoping, and now they can't justify the added cost to port it over to Linux.

Comment

Well sod iD then.
      to many games in recent time used the lure of a linux-native. I bought Rage (was an ok game) on the basis that I would complete in windows but would prob replay in linux (and had no reason to doubt iD not delivering on linux)

Trashcan for iD from now no as well as zero trust to any company spouting linux for any product (reguardless of past actions) UNTIL it is actually available - this includes valve

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
        Well sod iD then.
        to many games in recent time used the lure of a linux-native. I bought Rage (was an ok game) on the basis that I would complete in windows but would prob replay in linux (and had no reason to doubt iD not delivering on linux)

Trashcan for iD from now no as well as zero trust to any company spouting linux for any product (reguardless of past actions) UNTIL it is actually available - this includes valve
        id always said that any linux port would be unofficial. All linux builds of all id software games have been unofficial - and were only done because someone did it on their own, not for any publishing or marketing ideals. They never, ever, said anything different of Rage; for Rage it was always "if circumstances permit". So I think you were misinformed about that situation.

Comment

@Naib

Which gfx card?

Comment

nv9600 why?

Comment

Try wine, should work well as long as you keep AA off.

Comment

completed RAGE via wine
                with all maxed settings at 1920x1080 resolution and it never even went below 60 fps..was allways capped there.
                amd phenom 2 x4 955, 8GiB 1600mhz ddr3, gtx 560 Ti (blobs)

so Carmack is quite right. all i needed to do was to install that xact crap to be able to hear the game sounds.
                other than that it worked out of box in wine.

With ati card( 5770) it worked also decently, had some black texture issues tho, but forcing mipmap quality to max from catalyst reduced it a lot.

Comment

Linux has shitty drivers, tiny market share and cheap users that cry that they cannot play a game on terrible opensource drivers. I see no reason why a company that's purpose is to make money, would bother porting a large expensive game to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                    Probably Ea, and they will bring casual games like plants vs zombies, and such.
                    dude, Santa Clause doesn't exist, it's folklore for kids... EA is so glued to Redmond that they won't even think of doing something nice to linux.

Comment

@xpander

I completed it as well, but did not try any changes with amdcccle. I just changed the card Did you use the trick to use a pad as well? I don't think the game is fun without.

Comment

Working...
                      X