No announcement yet.

A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you made me log into my forum account after what, 2 years?

You know I have been following your website ever since... I don't even know, before the PTS was even announced. But man, I feel you used to write much better back 2-3 years ago. Why leave so much information behind, so we have to scour them in the forums?

Anyway, I enjoyed this beer-related article. My boss took me for a bottle of that Rauchbier, and I must say, I wasn't impressed. At all. I feel the beer lacks body - it has a strong start, and a very distinct smoky finish, but being a lager, it's just that - lager.

Haven't really tried the others, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
      You know I have been following your website ever since... I don't even know, before the PTS was even announced. But man, I feel you used to write much better back 2-3 years ago.
      Maybe, quite possibly... After a while of busting your ass up to 100 hour weeks for years, plus having to deal with an ever increasing number of PTS commercial customers, after a while it takes a toll on your mind and body while people continue to complain either way about anything.

Plus with Valve, Intel, NVIDIA, and many other tier-one companies these days where I'm just not writing about them but also helping them out in either recruiting people, strategies, benchmarking software, etc, I'm on the more conservative side when it comes to exposing new information or anything that isn't public.

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
      Why leave so much information behind, so we have to scour them in the forums?
      As said several times now in the past few days, I was only allowed to share a small part of the information actually known at this point, since there's still other projects there in their early stages, some things not firmly decided yet, Valve time, and other reasons. What's public now is just a small tiny chunk of still what's going on over in Bellevue.

And for and others that haven't been on the forums in a while.... ignore with Qaridarium is saying and any crazy rumors he frequently spreads.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Maybe, quite possibly... After a while of busting your ass up to 100 hour weeks for years, plus having to deal with an ever increasing number of PTS commercial customers, after a while it takes a toll on your mind and body while people continue to complain either way about anything.
        You need to lay off the beer and get some exercise before you burn yourself out. Take this from someone who has been through both small business engineering environments and corporate IT hell.

P.S. I think your articles are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I've definitely noticed an unusually high number of people complaining on these forums about pretty much anything they can. I'm guessing the majority actually enjoy your articles and that you get a reasonable hit count to your pages. Unfortunately that majority is probably silent and don't post in the forums.

Comment

Maybe some guest writers could help with the load? But yeah, you're doing a good job, even if it's not said that often.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
              I've definitely noticed an unusually high number of people complaining on these forums about pretty much anything they can. I'm guessing the majority actually enjoy your articles and that you get a reasonable hit count to your pages. Unfortunately that majority is probably silent and don't post in the forums.
              Pretty much. I'm in the "They're fine for what they are" department.

Comment

Big thanks Michael!
                Thanks to your arkward and disgusting taste, all Valve developers who taste this cat-piss will die horribly!

I don't understand how people can drink cat-piss with banana flavour!

Get a GODDAMN Pilsener!
                Or Lager
                Or Export
                Or K?lsch (aka Pussy-beer, whereby I like it very much! Go to Cologne and try it. In a oldschool pub the waitress will bring new ones without you needed to ask!).
                Or Porter (the sweet one from Saxionia)
                Or Alt-Bier!
                And if you are a man, and not an American pussy, try Bock-Bier! As a REAL man try Doppel-Bock!

EVERYTHING tastes better than this banana juice!

Although I have to admit the Rauchbier sounds interesting...

So no Linux client from Valve thanks to Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  LOL ???? damn what is your problem ?
                  That Micheal killed all Valve developers with the most disgusting kind of beer brewed under the "Deutsches Reinheitsgebot".

Franziskaner *spit* Tastes like piss after eating 10kg of bananas
                  Weihenstephaner Korbinian *sp...* wait.. its a Doppelbock... WTF? I should learn to read.
                  Paulaner Salvator *sp...* ah fuck, I cant know any of the x-thousand German beer. If it is a Weizen, see Franziskaner-comment
                  Ayinger - Lager "Memo to me: learn to read"
                  Franziskaner Dunkel - *spit* see Franziskaner comment (just with old black bananas)

But still:
                  No Pilsener, K?lsch, Alt, Porter, etc. pp.
                  Just bavarian junk.
                  I vote for kicking Bavaria out of Germany!
                  The Bavarians want to leave (hint: small typo makes Babarian out of Bavarians which is quite close to reality!), other Germans want them to leave, so ALL would be happy!
                  People in Lederhosen and Dirndl are just but-ugly! Ok, there are some nice 19 year old girls looking nice in Dirndls, but they look nice in any clothers and even naked they are still looking good!
                  That's why I prefer the beach to watch 19 year old girls than the Oktoberfest (never been there, but there are cheaper occasions to see drunk German girls).
                  Furthermore the rest of Germany talks some kind of understanable language. The "Gebrabbel" of the Babarians (no typo) is not understandable for any civilized human.

And Micheal killed half Valve with the babarian drinks.

Comment

I think you'll find Porter is a typically an English (London) beer. Similarly Pilsener is originally Czech (albeit an imported technology from Germany perfected in Plzen).

But you're right, those beers are not that exciting. As I said above, I found the Rauchbier severely lacking in taste, mainly due to it's lager-like (ie. nonexistent) body. Maybe if it was a smoked ale....

Also, Salvator is a doppel-bock.
                    Last edited by PeterKraus; 02 May 2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      you do a real mistake because: michael buy german beer in the USA
                      this means he can not chose from german supermarket with 200-300 different kind of beers.
                      I know. But arent there any other beers than Bavarian ones? Or does he only know Bavarian beer from his trips to the Oktoberfest?

in germany you would define a rare beer in another way. maybe the "Unertl BIO-Dinkel(Spelt) Weisse or Apostelbr?u Dinkel(Spelt) " is a rare special. (these Spelt are the most expensiv beer's because Spelt is 4 times more expensiv than Wheat)
                      Honestely: This is Dinkel-Banana-juice!

Weisse aka Weissbier is not a beer! I hate this banana flavour. If you like Weissbier go straight for Berliner Weisse with Rasberry or Waldmeister sirup!

it depend on who you ask a swabian will prever a "Stuttgarter Hofbreu" a badener will prever a "Rothaus" like the "Tannenz?pfle"
                      Are they good? Perhaps I should check my local supermarket.
                      in fact michael need "help" please send him all your beer ! then he can make a better beer benchmark!
                      I doubt one can send glas bottles to the US (terror laws and stuff ). But next time he is in Germany he should make a trip north of the Main to check real beers (I just read that Bavarians say every beer north from the Main is not a beer )
                      A friend from England has this as his favorite beer (and we tested a lot from the local drink store ):

@PeterKraus
                      I don't mean the Porter from England (I tasted it and its quite nice)
                      I meant the Porter from Saxionia: Lausitzer Porter
                      Very sweet (sweet as in "sweet as honey" ) and very nice. They also have a "Strong porter" where 3x 0,3 bottles kick you out of your shoes (but that one is like the english Porters)

To summarize:
                      If Valve cancels Steam for Linux, its Michaels fault because all developers died when their bodies turned inside out to get rid of that beer!

Comment

Working...
                      X