A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Michael: Is Valve collaborating with AMD and nVidia?
    I read somewhere they gave intel some software for testing but intel didn't care.
    It would be great if this pushes the driver quality (blobs) on Linux.*
    Is this something you can share with us?

*) I'm using AMD open-source stack right now but I guess I have to switch to the proprietary ones
    if Steam/Source will be released on Linux (unless it takes them another 3 years or so...).
    I think they'd be fine with me telling those answers....

- Yes, they are collaborating with AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies have access to the Linux client and are working on driver optimizations. AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.

- Intel not caring is bullshit. In fact, at least for the OTC developers themselves it's quite the opposite. Going through the official Intel -> Valve channels was slow for them so on the developers' behalf - at their request - I personally intervened and looks like things there are now rolling. Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.

- Valve has surprising interests beyond binary drivers.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

- Yes, they are collaborating with AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies have access to the Linux client and are working on driver optimizations. AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.

- Intel not caring is bullshit. In fact, at least for the OTC developers themselves it's quite the opposite. Going through the official Intel -> Valve channels was slow for them so on the developers' behalf - at their request - I personally intervened and looks like things there are now rolling. Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.

Great, thanks for sharing this information.
      Sounds really good, indeed.

Comment

I think it would be great for some of this information to be included in the articles. I realize it's publicly available here, but I'm not sure how many read the forums. I only started reading them very recently, after several years of following Phoronix.

Comment

Why...

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing that.

I have to agree with Vax456 though, I wish you'd shared some of this kind of information within the first article, and some direct quotes wouldn't have hurt. As Vax456 said:
          Originally posted by Vax456
          You did mention that Gabe restricted you on what you're allowed to expose, in very brief passing that's not entirely clear on what and what's not allowed to be exposed and what you tried to capture
          BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P

PS. Q - Love the new title you're sporting, ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
            BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P
            None of the Linux developers there are aussie AFAIK.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh well, still a great gift and it was funny sneaking it into Valve. Enjoyed the article. Here's hoping an angry Steve Ballmer doesn't smash any of the bottles you delivered!

Perhaps the aussie's in valve will be so impressed that they WILL join the Linux cabal now :P
              Last edited by Kamikaze; 28 April 2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Well, that is surprising. And very nice!

Does anyone know what extensions the Source engine uses on Macs? Are things like geometry shaders optional, meaning it could quickly work on Mesa?

Comment

Can't be easy with all the excitement and having to be tight lipped, but thanks for all you are sharing so far Micheal. Very interesting times ahead by the sounds of it.

Comment

Are you allowed to share how big the Linux cabal is?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                      Are you allowed to share how big the Linux cabal is?
                      Not sure what I should say, but it's growing. They're actually waiting on a list from me of more potential hires. Turns out they just didn't want Linux GL developers but kernel developers, etc. If anyone is looking for work and feels qualified to work at Valve, feel free to contact me if I haven't already contacted you yet to examine your interest level. I'll be compiling a new list in the next few days.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X