Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

Phoronix: A Special Linux Delivery At Valve Software

After a week of interesting Valve Linux news on Phoronix, Friday afternoon there was a special Linux delivery at Valve's offices for their "Linux cabal" -- the team of Valve developers that are working to provide the Linux versions of the Steam client and various Source Engine-powered games natively on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Someone help out that poor turret :-(

Comment

I've got a feeling that this article might please the guys at this thread

Edit: oops, that was even mentioned in the article
      Last edited by M1kkko; 28 April 2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

What is the point of this article? Some dudes starting some kickstarter project? Did I miss something because I am not a native english speaker? I mean WTF^2!

Comment

Salvator und Rauchbier... Was is'n das hier? 'n Fanshop?

Comment

Beer

Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
            I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              some games will be free for the linux beta testers like "team fortress 2"!
              TF2 is free on Windows and OSX as well.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
                I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.
                what uid313 said.

Comment

OK Michael, you made me laugh.

But I still like to think of Deus Ex-esque conspiracies in the software world.

Ballmer has to have a strategy for "embracing and extending" (or extinguishing) Linux. It's absolutely certain that a company that rich with that strong of a stance against free software has to be actively coming up with some subversive, probably illegal plan to get rid of the competition so they can retain market dominance. Or, if they don't want to get rid of it, they'll end up profiting from it somehow. What they're not doing is sitting idly by, watching Linux slowly erode their market share on the desktop and mobile fronts, and utterly own them on the server front.

Is Valve a part of Ballmer's grand plan? I have no idea, and I don't even want to speculate. But I do know that we shouldn't take the free desktop for granted, because people are working around the world to try and put a stop to it, or otherwise monetize it.

Comment

What an outfit!

Extrange shoes you have.

Are comfortable?

Comment

Working...
                    X