Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why...

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I think they'd be fine with me telling those answers....

- Yes, they are collaborating with AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies have access to the Linux client and are working on driver optimizations. AMD reportedly found some code-paths on their end to improve, but in my testing of L4D2 with Catalyst 12.7 betas I had (AMD hasn't sent over to Valve any test drivers yet...), the fixes didn't seem to be in there.

- Intel not caring is bullshit. In fact, at least for the OTC developers themselves it's quite the opposite. Going through the official Intel -> Valve channels was slow for them so on the developers' behalf - at their request - I personally intervened and looks like things there are now rolling. Don't be surprised to see Mesa-related improvements coming.

- Valve has surprising interests beyond binary drivers.
    Excellent news! Thanks for sharing that.

I have to agree with Vax456 though, I wish you'd shared some of this kind of information within the first article, and some direct quotes wouldn't have hurt. As Vax456 said:
    Originally posted by Vax456
    You did mention that Gabe restricted you on what you're allowed to expose, in very brief passing that's not entirely clear on what and what's not allowed to be exposed and what you tried to capture
    BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P

PS. Q - Love the new title you're sporting, ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
      BTW I heard that quite a few of the Valve employees are Aussie (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm guessing the gifts will definitely go down well :P
      None of the Linux developers there are aussie AFAIK.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh well, still a great gift and it was funny sneaking it into Valve. Enjoyed the article. Here's hoping an angry Steve Ballmer doesn't smash any of the bottles you delivered!

Perhaps the aussie's in valve will be so impressed that they WILL join the Linux cabal now :P
        Last edited by Kamikaze; 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

- Valve has surprising interests beyond binary drivers.
          Well, that is surprising. And very nice!

Does anyone know what extensions the Source engine uses on Macs? Are things like geometry shaders optional, meaning it could quickly work on Mesa?

Comment

Can't be easy with all the excitement and having to be tight lipped, but thanks for all you are sharing so far Micheal. Very interesting times ahead by the sounds of it.

Comment

Are you allowed to share how big the Linux cabal is?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                Are you allowed to share how big the Linux cabal is?
                Not sure what I should say, but it's growing. They're actually waiting on a list from me of more potential hires. Turns out they just didn't want Linux GL developers but kernel developers, etc. If anyone is looking for work and feels qualified to work at Valve, feel free to contact me if I haven't already contacted you yet to examine your interest level. I'll be compiling a new list in the next few days.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

So you made me log into my forum account after what, 2 years?

You know I have been following your website ever since... I don't even know, before the PTS was even announced. But man, I feel you used to write much better back 2-3 years ago. Why leave so much information behind, so we have to scour them in the forums?

Anyway, I enjoyed this beer-related article. My boss took me for a bottle of that Rauchbier, and I must say, I wasn't impressed. At all. I feel the beer lacks body - it has a strong start, and a very distinct smoky finish, but being a lager, it's just that - lager.

Haven't really tried the others, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
                    Why leave so much information behind, so we have to scour them in the forums?
                    he chose to not let out the internal secrets of valve.

if you read the forum carefully i leaked some information.
                    For example for the open-source driver he confirmed that after my writing.

in our world the freedom to speak free what is in your mind is very expensive Luxury.

but why not be happy? he only stop talking and keep secrets because: We saw the tip of the iceberg. and the sea is deep.

the real iceberg in the deep sea is a giant colossus!

thats why he stop talking.

do you really think you need kernel developers to port a game engine to openGL ? (you only need kernel developers for hardware drivers:Opensource hardware drivers)

the people are a fools if they think so.

Valve is hiring every single man they can get!

because they want to beat: Microsoft,Sony,Nintendo all in a single round.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

You know I have been following your website ever since... I don't even know, before the PTS was even announced. But man, I feel you used to write much better back 2-3 years ago.
                      Maybe, quite possibly... After a while of busting your ass up to 100 hour weeks for years, plus having to deal with an ever increasing number of PTS commercial customers, after a while it takes a toll on your mind and body while people continue to complain either way about anything.

Plus with Valve, Intel, NVIDIA, and many other tier-one companies these days where I'm just not writing about them but also helping them out in either recruiting people, strategies, benchmarking software, etc, I'm on the more conservative side when it comes to exposing new information or anything that isn't public.

Why leave so much information behind, so we have to scour them in the forums?
                      As said several times now in the past few days, I was only allowed to share a small part of the information actually known at this point, since there's still other projects there in their early stages, some things not firmly decided yet, Valve time, and other reasons. What's public now is just a small tiny chunk of still what's going on over in Bellevue.

And for and others that haven't been on the forums in a while.... ignore with Qaridarium is saying and any crazy rumors he frequently spreads.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X