Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
    ++

Put this in a section clearly labeled "Michael's Blog".

I took a look at your Twitter page, and you said you were going back for another visit. Why did you not take this opportunity to interview any single one of the developers at Valve? Did you try getting interviews, but they wouldn't tell you anything? Did they have only negative things to say about Linux? Did you get any kind of useful information at all? Did you even bother asking to set up an interview?

I've lurked around Phoronix for a long time, and I've quickly learned to never get my hopes up when I see one of Phoronix's "articles". This Valve trip could have been such a huge breakthrough and gave Phoronix the much needed credibility it desperately needs. But instead, we first get a half-assed article, then a crappy video, and then beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Michael, I can't believe you. You treated this trip as a vacation rather than an opportunity to give your site a debut story that no one else has the chance to report on. You had a chance to gather so much information. If you couldn't get any information, you didn't report it in 3 of your articles! Instead you turned it into a beer-fest and a promotion for how great Phoronix is.

The worst part is you keep acting like Valve is determined to release Linux when the most we have to see is a shotty fifteen-second video (which you spent a lot of time hyping up, by the way). We don't have recorded interviews or anything! Until Valve has a product going into its final stages, they are never going to do a press release about Linux. Gabe Newell learned the hard way to never talk about something that hasn't solidified yet, a.k.a. Half Life 3. Michael, when all of these things add up, can you blame us for doubting your "articles"?

There's too much widespread dismissal on Phoronix's credibility and Michael missed an opportunity to bring it back. I've been frustrated with Phoronix for a while, but it these three articles have pushed me to finally say something (that Michael will probably never listen to).

Michael, you claim you're an entrepreneur, so start writing like one.
    My sharing of the information I learned this week was limited to basically confirm that it is in fact being worked on but not being permitted to share the really interesting stuff.... but being told the really interesting stuff at the same time though as far as their plans go, since I've been helping them recruit some more developers and form some of their other Linux plans/strategies and providing technical feedback to Gabe & Co. So an interview or anything really isn't appropriate at this time. Heck from the like six hours there on Tuesday, what I posted in that first article was about the time of like 5 minutes of that day... And no, that's not because we were just sitting around and drinking beers for the other 5 hours and 55 minutes or anything like that...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      My sharing of the information I learned this week was limited to basically confirm that it is in fact being worked on but not being permitted to share the really interesting stuff....
      So why didn't you note it in any one of your three articles? You're giving us the impression that you either didn't get the confirmation you're looking for, or you didn't even bother to ask.

but being told the really interesting stuff at the same time though as far as their plans go,
      Are you allowed to share what their plans are? Do you have the details on that?

since I've been helping them recruit some more developers and form some of their other Linux plans/strategies and providing technical feedback to Gabe & Co. So an interview or anything really isn't appropriate at this time. Heck from the like six hours there on Tuesday, what I posted in that first article was about the time of like 5 minutes of that day... And no, that's not because we were just sitting around and drinking beers for the other 5 hours and 55 minutes or anything like that...
      So you have another 5 hours and 55 minutes of material? Is it higher quality than the first three articles you posted (which belong in your blog, by the way)? Can we expect more Valve-Linux news?

Comment

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
        So why didn't you note it in any one of your three articles? You're giving us the impression that you either didn't get the confirmation you're looking for, or you didn't even bother to ask.

Are you allowed to share what their plans are? Do you have the details on that?

So you have another 5 hours and 55 minutes of material? Is it higher quality than the first three articles you posted (which belong in your blog, by the way)? Can we expect more Valve-Linux news?
        I think I mentioned it in the first article that Gabe basically only would let me publicly confirm the Steam Linux client / Source Engine for Linux are being worked on but for the other stuff, plus those quick videos/pictures. I wasn't even allowed to photograph the other areas within the Linux cabal aside from that one particular system I'd been playing with that day (I had tried after Gabe said I could take those few photos/video, but then when snapping the first other photo, Rick explicitly said that's not allowed).

I've been asked/told not to publicly disclose that other information that was discussed. I got much more confirmation than I would have ever expected last week before going out there for how much information I was going to learn......

No, as said I can't share those other plans at this time... When I'm allowed to or whatever by Valve, there will be a massive carpet bombing and it will be great.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Please stop posting pictures of beer and talk about beer and lederhosen.
          I come to this site to read about Linux, Unix, etc not beer and lederhosen.
          I hate to be that guy, but why did you read the article? It's pretty clear from the front page blurb that Michael was giving something to the Valve folks, not the other way around.

If it was because you're super excited about the Valve news, and didn't want to miss anything, I can understand why you were very disappointed in the article.

If you're annoyed in general about the non-Linux posts, I highly suggest posting in the forums- you'll get a better response there, because not everyone reads every article, and less comment on the article posts.

I hope you can appreciate that Michael was very excited about all he heard and saw, and so wanted to thank Valve with a special gift- and as you read, he really loves beer, so he tried to find his favorites so a suitable thank you gift could be presented.

I'd like to know more about the Linux hardware in the bag, and the Kickstarter project, but I'm sure more details will come out in time.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
            I'd like to know more about the Linux hardware in the bag, and the Kickstarter project, but I'm sure more details will come out in time.
            Tuesday should be the day...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Tuesday should be the day...
              Lol, I've hoped you've upped the site's traffic capabilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                the real point is: michael get a job over from Gabe himself with a income more than 100 000 dollar per year.

this means maybe michael close phoronix forever and start developing for valve.

in fact michael don't need phoronix to make money!

he chose to do this service for us!
                You probably should lay off the LSD... Though you do now have a special Phoronix title to avoid new people to the forums from being confused.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                  Lol, I've hoped you've upped the site's traffic capabilities!
                  This particular Kickstarter project to be announced on Tuesday by Plugable is interesting but I'm not sure that it's that interesting where the server is going to drop to its knees.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I think I mentioned it in the first article that Gabe basically only would let me publicly confirm the Steam Linux client / Source Engine for Linux are being worked on but for the other stuff, plus those quick videos/pictures. I wasn't even allowed to photograph the other areas within the Linux cabal aside from that one particular system I'd been playing with that day (I had tried after Gabe said I could take those few photos/video, but then when snapping the first other photo, Rick explicitly said that's not allowed).

I've been asked/told not to publicly disclose that other information that was discussed. I got much more confirmation than I would have ever expected last week before going out there for how much information I was going to learn......

No, as said I can't share those other plans at this time... When I'm allowed to or whatever by Valve, there will be a massive carpet bombing and it will be great.
                    You did mention that Gabe restricted you on what you're allowed to expose, in very brief passing that's not entirely clear on what and what's not allowed to be exposed and what you tried to capture. And if Gabe only allowed you to publicly confirm that Valve is working on a Linux port for the Source Engine and the Steam Client, then quote him! Don't put it in your own words! This is where Phoronix's laughable credibility on this particular topic is coming from!

Michael, I'm moaning and bitching because I actually like your site and I like the stuff you're reporting on. I really wish you would give this topic a lot more respect because you could have made a much bigger impact that would directly affect your sites traffic, and your income!

Comment

Michael: Is Valve collaborating with AMD and nVidia?
                      I read somewhere they gave intel some software for testing but intel didn't care.
                      It would be great if this pushes the driver quality (blobs) on Linux.*
                      Is this something you can share with us?

*) I'm using the AMD open-source stack right now but I guess I have to switch to the proprietary ones
                      if Steam/Source will be released on Linux (unless it takes them another 3 years or so...).
                      Last edited by entropy; 28 April 2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X