A New Game Engine Comes To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    serious question: did anybody knew that engine OR any of the games mentioned in the article BEFORE you read it? I didn't.
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Me neither...
    3rded... Never heard of this company, engine or any of their games.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I'm not hit by a crow-bar
      That may be the case, but you should be...

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
        That was the only reason I clicked the link...
        If you couldn't tell, this is what Larabel does every time he mentions Steam or Valve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2mftZpfGE and yet the morons on this site fall for it, even after years of it so he does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Yeah the vids are in WebM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I'm not dead, I'm not hit by a crow-bar, I'm not under NDA.... It was a long and exciting day at Valve. There's no article yet but I'll be writing up something shortly, I'm working on it now but might not be out before the morning. I'm amazed by their Linux plans and deciding what I want to write or share at this time; it won't be anything too amazing. Saying the Linux Steam client is coming is already more than enough plus a few photos.
          Nice to hear you had an exciting trip.

Btw, have you met Jeri Ellsworth by chance?
          She's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            So this NOT a typical news site IMHO.
            You can say that again.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the news!

Comment

Another game enigne. Fine. And?
                Where are the actual games? We have a bazillion game engines. libraries and stuff working with Linux, BSD and whatsnot but which game company makes use of them? And from the ones which use these engines, are there any actually releasing games for Linux?
                I know there are a few but it should be a hundred more.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

This is a commercial game engine - which means that they'll be pushing for people use it. Which means that there's more of a chance of a game being Linux-compatible made with that engine that there was before (which was natively: zero).

Comment

I'm a C4 user, have tried a few other engines and I think C4 is the bee's knees.

What convinced me to buy C4 was the tools, what I heard from other programmers about the code base and the personal service from the guy that wrote the engine.

Eric Lengyel has a PhD in Computer Science, a Masters in Mathematics and has worked at Naughty Dog Software's advanced technology group, Sony, Sierra On-Line, is the editor for the Game Engine Gems books, and is on the editorial board for the Journal of Graphics Tools. He also invented the Transvoxel Algorithm, which as far as I know, is one of the most requested feature by Unity users.

Check out his bio for more info and a description of the Transvoxel Algorithm at these links, or hit the search engines:

His combination of academic qualifications + real world industry experience is rare and it shows in the source code.

If you are a C++ programmer, drop by the C4 forums and ask some detailed questions, Eric will answer them in a few hours or on the same day.

Comment

I'm a C4 user, have tried a few other engines and think C4 is the bee's knees.

What convinced me to buy C4 was the tools, what I heard from other programmers about the code base and the personal service from the guy that wrote the engine.

Eric Lengyel has a PhD in Computer Science, a Masters in Mathematics, has worked at Naughty Dog Software's advanced technology group, Sony, Sierra On-Line, is the editor for the Game Engine Gems books, and is on the editorial board for the Journal of Graphics Tools. He also invented the Transvoxel Algorithm, which from what I heard, was one of the most requested features by Unity users.

Check out his bio for more info and a description of the Transvoxel Algorithm at these links, or hit Google and do your own research:

His combination of academic qualifications + real world industry experience is rare and it all shows in the game engine.

If you are a C++ programmer, drop by the C4 forums and ask some detailed questions, Eric will answer them in a few hours, or on the same day.

Comment

Working...
                      X