Lightsmark 1600x900 window
    Xrender - 142
    opengl1 - 148
    opengl2 - 145
    opengles2 - 144
    suspend - 175
    openbox - 175

Comment

If testing OpenGL, why not test using a driver that properly supports it (e.g. nvidia blob)?
      Any way, it looks that even with compositing disabled, KDE is still the slowest of the bunch when it comes to gaming.

As a side node, using Kubuntu 12.04 beta here and the option to suspend compositing in full screen was enabled by default.

Comment

I would also be curious (in your next WM comparison) to see a couple benchmark graphs with a "no windows manager" column. It's not that I believe that there are gamers that use Ctrl-Alt-F# as a WM, it's just that I would like an rational baseline for comparison, and gain the ability to assign a cost to each WM.

I guess that the kiosk, showcase, and arcade guys would be interested as well.
        Last edited by russofris; 20 April 2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          after reading this article i chance my setting from openGL to xrender
          No need... The whole comparison is moot. Look again at the results, Gallium3D "Suspend effects" is capped around 60 fps. That's why xrender seems faster.

Comment

The real question is: why is it capped @60fps?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Thank you very much for this interesting benchmarks and for listening to your readers Michael.

I did some benchmarks with Unigine Heaven and Catalyst and the results were identical in every possible scenario. When using Open Source Radeon drivers suspending compositions was helpful. Maybe there's something wrong with Intel?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                The real question is: why is it capped @60fps?
                Vsync? Perhaps the Vsync option is only kicking in when the Kwin desktop effects are suspended. I wonder if enabling Vsync in the KDE desktop effects settings would create a similar cap on the game's framerate with the desktop effects enabled.

Comment

Interesting

Articles like this are great. I wonder, however, if there are any differences between the compositing modes, i.e. between crisp, accurate, etc. I'm guessing that, if there are, they're pretty marginal.

The good news is that those of us using the proprietary Catalyst drivers don't have to worry about disabling compositing to get better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    If testing OpenGL, why not test using a driver that properly supports it (e.g. nvidia blob)?
                    In exactly what sense do the Catalyst drivers not properly support OpenGL on linux? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                    X