Unigine Engine Looks To Wasteland 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    And do you think that Oilrush looks so good?
    Yes I actually do... at least on an OpenGL4 compatible graphicscard with "Ultra" settings, the graphics look pretty good. (using a GTS 450)

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post

Also not to mention the huge pool of resources and knowledge for Unity3D vs. nearly nothing for Unigine.
      Indeed, it is one of the weak points of Unigine. A couple of years ago I tried to get th eevaluation kit, but no, it is just studios. Had access to the SDK as part of the Dilogus project, but inmediatly when the fate of the project became unclear they cut my forum access. I tried to google for tutorials and videos: nothing available. But a week ago a friend of mine downloaded Unity3d and he is already doing a lot of things. Even CryEngine has a community forum.

Comment

@Sverro2

Compare a screenshot with tesselation on and off with Oilrush, i doubt you will se a diff. Tesselation with your card would be much too slow in the way it was used in the Heaven benchmark.

Comment

If all you want is eye candy you are going to be disappointed by Wasteland 2.

There is no doubt that there will be a stronger literary vibe to this game over some of the more recent RPGs. I suspect we will have a combination of approaches as some areas need to move quickly while others require taking in more information.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            If all you want is eye candy you are going to be disappointed by Wasteland 2.
            Because it offers eye candy but also other things so if "all I want is eye candy" then it won't suit me? What about if I want eye candy but it's not the only thing I want?

Eye candy is important.

Comment

If they go with Unity at this point Linux users are going to be seriously short changed (If somebody proves me wrong on this point I will be a very happy man).
              I didn't know that Cry Engine had a Linux based client I remember when we were using it that I noticed that there was quite a bit of linux based code but no renderer.

Unigine is really optimised for DX10+ hardware but there is a second codepath using OpenGL ES with simpler shaders for mobile devices and as of the latest build Linux.
              Heaven is a benchmark - it's main job is to stress the hardware. Oilrush is a much better indication of what the engine can do performance wise. Here I have found a 1-2 fps difference between DX11 and OpenGL.

Coding for Unigine is actually quite good (the programming language is somewhere between C++ and javascript and is relatively well documented). Most of the Asset files are written in XML and relatively easy to understand. There visual coding tools in early development.

For static Meshes the workflow is quite easy - Unigine provide a tool that will convert many common formats including obj and collada. For animated assets you need one of the packages supported by plugins Max,Maya or SoftImage. Better support for Collada,FBX is on the todo list for this year however.

Unigine does have a major disadvantage in the number of people who have access to and understand working with the engine. Maybe Unigine would consider a cutdown version of the editor
              that is easier to get ones hands on.
              (

oh yes -- and the new Valley Demo is quite Perty, especially loving the new weather system... (except - we would like to see a better looking sky at this point. Faking things the way CryEngine does would be fine ).

I have over 3 years development experience with Unigine - feel free to contact me here if you have specific questions.

Comment

Maybe your 1-2 fps diff was using nvidia cards? Also how much effect has gave got the 4 possible tesselation settings (off,moderate,normal,extreme) on your project(s)? Best test with 1920x1200 res...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Eye candy is important.
                  Eye candy is only important to the people that have ruined PC gaming by turning it into a dumbed down click fest that won't allow you the option to explode a child like a blood sausage. Story, writing quality, depth of character, consequences to actions, those are important. That's why people are still playing Fallout and Fallout 2 rather than Fallout 3.

Eye candy just allows you to sell your games to idiotic kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Maybe your 1-2 fps diff was using nvidia cards? Also how much effect has gave got the 4 possible tesselation settings (off,moderate,normal,extreme) on your project(s)? Best test with 1920x1200 res...
                    nVidia yes. I am not convinced that AMD can provide solid enough drivers for professional use under linux.
                    We don't use any tesselation at work - We want to but it adds a lot of artist hours to a project and we haven't found a situation where it's worth the payoff so I can't tell you a lot about the difference between the tesselation performance other than what you can figure out with the heaven demo.

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                      oh yes -- and the new Valley Demo is quite Perty, especially loving the new weather system... (except - we would like to see a better looking sky at this point. Faking things the way CryEngine does would be fine ).
                      Valley is in "preview" state until the next Unigine SDK update - we are adding stars system (actually, implemented yesterday) for the night sky and new improved clouds. So the sky will look way much better in the next build.

Comment

Working...
                      X