The Best Looking Open-Source Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I noticed the apitrace tweet. But last I used it, the fps it put out was several times lower than what the app itself put out.

With this kind of overhead, is there any point to benchmarking with apitrace? Or has this been fixed lately?
    My stuff runs with 70-60% speed when retracing(latest apitrace). Not sure how representative it is though, need to trace some more games.

Comment

vdrift-2011-10-22

Comment

Blockout2 :>

Comment

Red Eclipse and Sauerbraten are two games that are worth benchmarking as well. Big playerbase and are mentioned on your site multiple times, so why not try to include them in PTS?
          Especially Red Eclipse has some nice levels with good details and beatiful effects. They are not the most beatiful open-source games out there, but they do just fine. To me Xonotic is the most beatiful.

Talking about commercial games, maybe Prey and Oil-Rush are worth mentioning as well?

Comment

I'm tempted to put Aquaria (http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/) on the list. The engine is free, the content not. But it's really cute and nice 2d stuff.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
              One problem the game had before (which may be why you couldn't get it working) was that the non-dedicated binary would not accept console commands via stdin. I fixed this in SVN a couple months ago and it should show up in the 7.54 release.

I'd always assumed the timedemo code was working just fine, but I checked again and indeed there were a couple problems with it.

First of all, it started counting frames as soon as the timedemo cvar was set to 1. This meant that if you typed in the command to set the cvar, then waited a couple seconds, it was included in the final statistics. Also, it's a bad idea to benchmark the map load times because the framerate during map loading is capped at 10 FPS and is often much less than that, obviously polluting the results. Second of all, the timedemo code counted each frame twice, resulting in claiming 2x the correct framerate.

I have committed fixes for both of these bugs to SVN. They should show up in the 7.54 release.

Does there need to be a mechanism to make the game automatically quit after a demo finishes running, or is Phoronix already capable of emitting a "quit" command to the game's stdin?
              Great for the fixes, thanks!

The way I start-up and then quit on idTech3 games is via:

timedemo 1
              set demodone "quit"
              set demoloop1 "demo demo088-test1; set nextdemo vstr demodone"
              vstr demoloop1

would that work here?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Another vote for bringing benchmarking into Spring engine. Basically, this engine is on par or greater than those in CnC generals. It is very nice 3D RTS engine. Because you are benchmarking mostly FPS, adding something with CPU bottlenecking (3d rts strategy engine) would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It turns out there's actually a new OpenArena release from this year that I discovered today when writing this article... It does have GLSL support, better bloom, and a few other refinements. Here's a result file showing the old OpenArena 0.8.5 versus the new OpenArena 0.8.8 results, the frame-rate drops a lot - http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...PTS-NEWOPENA54

The test profile is already available for those who want: http://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/openarena-1.5.0
                  Great, thanks!

Yes, the performance hit is fatal 3x-4x! O_o
                  Need to give new version a try.

Too bad OpenArena misses exactly some online functionality to connect players, like its done in Quake Live.
                  Im not talking they should do browser plugin. But they could have set up good site, add ads to support development and ... provide ways for people join, talk and make clans.

I feel that most of the userbase that could play OpenArena is either with Quake Live due to social features; with Warsow due to its very high style elitist game style; or with Xonotic due to its innovative and rebelling spirit.

I don?t like how things turn around Urban terror though. Linux treated as second class once, very very few enthusiasm releasing any updates. The engine handles bullets way unprecise, models look ok only for year 2001, level design..., lack of ANY good mods (zombiemod is here, but requires high amount of imagination - red team is still basically human) ONLY unique about urban terror are its jumping servers and maps. And problem with intel opensource driver that is not fixed in urt upstream.
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 12 April 2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

As a developer of 0 A.D., I'll have to say I quite like 0 A.D. It's far from the most technically impressive engine, but it's getting better (I've been adding some more usable shader support recently), and the artists are doing a great job

I'm interested in adding a usable graphics benchmarking mode into it some time, to compare across different hardware and OSes and drivers (mainly to identify performance-related bugs in our code or in drivers, and to choose sensible default graphics settings), so it could be good to get input from people with experience developing or running benchmarks. I think the biggest issue is that performance depends heavily on implementation detail - e.g. we can render with GLSL shaders or with equivalent ARB shaders (GL_ARB_fragment_program etc), with similar performance in most environments, but the GLSL is ~30% faster than ARB on proprietary NVIDIA drivers (for unknown reasons). Or e.g. changing the implementation of alpha testing can make rendering significantly faster on some Intel GPUs, and slightly slower on other Intel ones, and no different on NVIDIA ones. How can we do a fair comparison when there are so many unpredictable variables?

Maybe the best approach is for the benchmark to try every combination and report the best? but what if drivers are buggy and some combinations don't even give correct rendering, so fastest isn't best? We already collect a load of data from the game (OpenGL capabilities, in-game FPS, etc), so it's easy to collect and analyse whatever data the benchmark generates, but I'm not really sure what the best approach would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                      iDTech4 was ported to 64 bit, cmake build system, patented code put back, GLSL renderer, etc...
                      Really? Where? Need Code...

Comment

Working...
                      X