The Best Looking Open-Source Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tip on AlienArena and Xonotic.

OpenArena is missing some essential finacial things and is not developed since 2010.

Also, phoronix-test-suite is apparently capable to frag! Is this a new "feature"?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      I tip on AlienArena and Xonotic.

OpenArena is missing some essential finacial things and is not developed since 2010.

Also, phoronix-test-suite is apparently capable to frag! Is this a new "feature"?

It turns out there's actually a new OpenArena release from this year that I discovered today when writing this article... It does have GLSL support, better bloom, and a few other refinements. Here's a result file showing the old OpenArena 0.8.5 versus the new OpenArena 0.8.8 results, the frame-rate drops a lot - http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...PTS-NEWOPENA54

The test profile is already available for those who want: http://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/openarena-1.5.0
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        @Michael

why not integrate a benchmark based on the TA-Spring engine?

sure we know this is "work" but maybe just ask for donation to do this?

I?m sure you will get more readers because TA-Spring engine is used by many gamers world wide.

and with high settings you really need fast hardware.
        Because as far as I know there still is no proper automated support for handling it within the Spring engine compared to other open-source engines. And I don't see enough donations coming in for it to be worthwhile to add support to the Spring engine myself.

I don't see it bringing in any significant number of new readers... You're the only one that's ever even requested it.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

I am one of the Alien Arena developers and would be happy to add any features needed to help support benchmarking. Just putting that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
            I am one of the Alien Arena developers and would be happy to add any features needed to help support benchmarking. Just putting that out there.
            I brought it up with John Diamond before but he didn't seem interested to do anything about it after a few emails... This was probably two or three years ago though. If you could implement a timed demo mode similar to the idTech titles, etc that would be terrific! I think there may have been in the code in CRX at one point but was broken.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

vegastrike

Comment

Yeah, vegastrike has got some nice planet shaders, but no benchmark mode.

Comment

One problem the game had before (which may be why you couldn't get it working) was that the non-dedicated binary would not accept console commands via stdin. I fixed this in SVN a couple months ago and it should show up in the 7.54 release.

I'd always assumed the timedemo code was working just fine, but I checked again and indeed there were a couple problems with it.

First of all, it started counting frames as soon as the timedemo cvar was set to 1. This meant that if you typed in the command to set the cvar, then waited a couple seconds, it was included in the final statistics. Also, it's a bad idea to benchmark the map load times because the framerate during map loading is capped at 10 FPS and is often much less than that, obviously polluting the results. Second of all, the timedemo code counted each frame twice, resulting in claiming 2x the correct framerate.

I have committed fixes for both of these bugs to SVN. They should show up in the 7.54 release.

Does there need to be a mechanism to make the game automatically quit after a demo finishes running, or is Phoronix already capable of emitting a "quit" command to the game's stdin?
                  Last edited by MaxToTheMax; 12 April 2012, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Flightgear is also looking gorgeous(with focus on realistic graphics)

Comment

I noticed the apitrace tweet. But last I used it, the fps it put out was several times lower than what the app itself put out.

With this kind of overhead, is there any point to benchmarking with apitrace? Or has this been fixed lately?

Comment

Working...
                      X