List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    If dishonesty were actually obvious from body language, societies would probably work a lot better than they do.

It may not be obvious to you, there are medical conditions that cause people to fail to recognize what people say in their body language, but it is obvious to some.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      http://www.bodylanguageexpert.co.uk/...ishonesty.html

It may not be obvious to you, there are medical conditions that cause people to fail to recognize what people say in their body language, but it is obvious to some.
      That article just lists a bunch of vague signs of anxiety and gives weaselly descriptions of how they are "often" or "sometimes" (i.e. unreliably) a sign of lying, then caps everything off with a disclaimer about how these methods are really for use by unspecified "experts", with all of these assertions cited to exactly zero scientific studies. Some source you've got there.

Comment

• I didn't see anyone bitching about broken promises
        Last edited by Dan555a; 13 October 2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I don't suppose you might have considered that the people in the video, could have medical conditions, or mannerisms / personality traits that make them not so good with cameras, and perhaps better at staring at a monitor screen all day long at code rather than putting on the best possible video presentation? I mean geez, part of me feels like you're complaining that the young musician doesn't look sexy enough, even though he/she might have a great voice and play an instrument really well. Stage presence isn't something that everyone has. Not everyone takes the time to learn it, and some people cannot learn it. I hope we don't get to the point with these Kickstarter projects where it's like some Presidential election, where people are mainly second guessing the beads of sweat on someone's brow rather than the quality of work they can probably do. It's not like these two haven't been around the block and their careers are a big mystery.

Maybe this sort of criticism is a reason not to use promotional videos for a Kickstarter project, and instead just rely on still photos and compelling text. Of course, if you're going to try to compel with text, you'd better write well.

Comment

• M.O.R.E. - old school turn-based 4X space strategy game.

I may have missed it but I don't recall anybody mentioning M.O.R.E. - old school turn-based 4X space strategy game.

The developers are from my country Poland and they are commited to creating a Linux and Mac versions although making it's realease at the same time as Windows is set for a stretch goal of $80k. If they won't get to this stretch goal they will release it 3 months after the Windows version.

The video for this campaign is of a great quality and the game looks like a dream come true for fans of the genre. They already have $53k which is $3k more than the initial goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by bvanevery View Post
              It's not like these two haven't been around the block and their careers are a big mystery.
              What have they done in their current company with the current team they are going to be using for their low budget game? Not to mention the two for the price of one pitch.

But don't let anyone stop you from throwing your money away. I hear Bernie Madoff was a great investment opportunity as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                That article just lists a bunch of vague signs of anxiety and gives weaselly descriptions of how they are "often" or "sometimes" (i.e. unreliably) a sign of lying, then caps everything off with a disclaimer about how these methods are really for use by unspecified "experts", with all of these assertions cited to exactly zero scientific studies. Some source you've got there.
                How do you think polygraphs work?

Comment

They don't. That's why they aren't allowed in the courts of nearly every country in the world.

Comment

• M.O.R.E. definitely looks interesting, but I don't see any mention that any of the team has ever shipped a game before. Even a hobby or school project would be better than nothing. They also don't seem to be asking enough to seriously fund a reasonable amount of work on the game: $50,000 split among a team of 12 is only a little over $4,000 each for the entire game, which makes me wonder what the relevance of the Kickstarter project is to the game. It seems like it's primarily a marketing tool to generate/gauge interest.

Primarily as an intimidating prop in what is actually a manipulative interrogation procedure rather than a genuine scientific test.

Comment

• Chris Roberts (Wing Commander series) has a new project called Star Citizen. They started a Kickstarter campaign after their own fundraiser overloaded their servers. The FAQ says Windows only but they are considering Linux and Mac and claim to have enthusiasts for both on their team:

Hopefully they can be convinced to at least making Linux support a stretch goal.

Comment

Working...
                      X